Manure Question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MsPacMan, Apr 8, 2006.

1. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

I have this wonderful problem:

I am the proud owner of (to date) 5 full pick up truck loads of completely composted, sweet smelling, rich,aged goat manure. And I can get more too, I just have to work out a time with the owner to pick the rest of the stuff up.

I mean this is Premo Stuff.

With this much material, I can open up new raised beds. I have a tiller attachment on my tractor to till the ground initially, and I figure that I'll just dump the manure really high (about 12 inches tall) on top of that tilled area.

That, of course, means that the veggies will be growing in pretty much 100% completely composted, aged goat manure.

Is there a risk of burning the vegetables, growing them in a rich medium like manure that is undiluted by lesser quality dirt?

Do I need to add any other amendments (e.g., wood ashes for pH?) I don't have time to send off soil samples to U.T.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

If it's fully composted I'd doubt that you would have an issue. Through the process of composting and the natural leaching of nitrogen due to rain etc, It really shouldn't be much of an issue.
    If I had the choice, I'd rather mix with the underlying soil a bit better. It would dilute the "hotness" and help amend the soil.

3. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

I always like to till the manure into the soil, it helps the whole drit to be better

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

12 inches on a bed is way too much. Despite being supposedly "aged", it's still too rich for planting anything directly into it. Generally I would suggest tilling in maximum 2 inches of any kind of compost unless you are tilling real deep. You want to end up with about 15% organic matter. With a normal spade depth, that figures out to 2 inches of added material.

Martin