manual cement mixer?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ed Burleson, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Ed Burleson

Ed Burleson New Member

I have been reading a book by Scott Nearing in which he refers to a "Manual Cement Mixer" (No motor, turned by hand that he purchased in the 1930's. Does anyone know if these are still available and if so, where? Thanks. Ed

2. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Now please understand I really don't know much about mixers...but couldn't you make it into a manual one. Take the motor off somehow and attach a handle to make it roll. Are you mixing cement or animal feed in the mixer. What is your thoughts on a manual one and not using the attached motor ?? I happened to pick one up at a garage sale for $20. The motor needs attached back onto it but thought...you never know when you just might need one. Doesn't everyone have any extra cement mixer laying around their homesteads ??

3. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Another thought !! Have you checked into Lehmans catalog..or any other Amish area type of stores or catalogs. E-bay ?? Or put an ad in your local paper. ?? Good Luck !!

4. D

D Well-Known Member

My ex built an electric one from scratch: leftover motor from something else and a barrel and a homemade frame. A traditional shape works better -- mixes it up better, but this was cheaper at the time.
    You can mix small quantities of mud with two five gallon buckets --pouring the ingredients back and forth between buckets. This works good for smaller folks and newbies: if you're laying rocks or blocks instead of pouring some kind of slab then you won't want a big batch until you figure out what you're doing.

5. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

I've mixed a lot of cement in a wheelbarrow. Unless you've got a big job, should be OK. You might find a manual mixer at an auction sale, but there's a lot more of those small mixers with electric motors and some larger ones with gas.

If you've got a tractor with 3-pt. and a PTO, you can get a nice mixer.

For heavier items, you'd have to get a real good price for it to make sense to buy it on ebay.

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

My Dad's manual cement mixer grew up and I'm not mixing any more by hand! First thing that comes to mind is how much cement are you mixing? Are you talking about mortar for brick or block, or are you talking about concrete? Mortar can be mixed on a sheet of plywood or in a mixing box or wheelbarrow with a hoe. You can mix concrete the same way but quantity is what kills you. If you only need a bag at a time or less than the hoe method works OK. Trying to do footers or a walk is a LOT of work, believe me I've done it.
    if yur only mixing a bag of pre mix like sakcrete you can use a small barrell with a lid and roll it to mix it. The stores sell a barrell made for this but I'm sure a plastic barrell with a screw on lid would work.

7. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Suggest wheelbarrow and hoe for hand mixing or three point pto jobbies for tractor if you want a powered one. I guess one of those light duty electric ones ok if you got it cheap-cheap, but dont know that it would be any more convenient than a wheelbarrow and hoe.

8. Ed Burleson

Ed Burleson New Member

Thanks for the answer and the humor. I received a lot of replies to my question and appreciate all of them. Thanks again, Ed

9. BackwoodsIdaho

BackwoodsIdaho Well-Known Member

I have a manual cement mixer - his name is Melvin.

10. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

There's also tarp-mixing for small amounts; it takes two people. Put the cement, water, etc., in the middle of a tarp. Each person holds two corners. Then just take turns raising and lowering the ends so that the cement in the middle rolls around and mixes.

11. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter