Mantis:

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by dogo, Mar 27, 2006.

1. dogo

dogo Well-Known Member

I will get to the point. A friend has a Mantis it had been setting up for some time and of course it has mixed fuel 50 to:1 . This is a 2 cycle engine and I believe the problem would have been simple if my son Mr. fix it hadn't have taken the carb off and the plastic cover;s on the carb adjustment. now it will act like it will start, you hit but want run. I cleaned the tank filter and the gunk but haven't pulled the carb. Maybe I should and perhaps get another carb or get a kit. If I do what is the adjustment to start with to at least to get it to run. It acts like its not getting fuel and I believe its not. Do you think the reed is messed up. What or where should I begin First ?

2. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Generally, the air mix screw should be turned out 1 1/2 turns from a soft bottom. That should get you running. You have to prime it too, I assume you know?

2 strokes are pretty easy to get running. They also flood easy. If it wants to start, pull the plug and see if it is soaking wet. If so, its flooded. Put a new plug in or wash that one off with ether or something, wait til it dries.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    All gasoline burning engines - world wide - use 1 and 1/2 turns open from a soft seated position for adjustments of the carb. If 'been settting up for some time' means 5 years or so then you need to explore the crank seal problem. 2 stroke engines uses the pistons downward motion to compress the fuel so it can enter the cylinders via the scavenger ports, the holes in the cylinder walls. If the seals have had time to disenergrate, they need to be replaced.

Normally if the engine fires 3-4-5-6 times before stalling - this is a sign of failed crank seals.

Establish that you have spark, fuel present, and compression; after that seek timming. We will be here for your answers.

4. dogo

dogo Well-Known Member

I give up . I tried even bought a new plug . It seems to try and fire off but act like not getting fuel. I check to see if it is firing, It seems to be but its weak , to me .I pulled the fly wheel and cleaned the pick up and coil with Emery cloth thinking that might do . But no go . I wonder where I could get a carb kit for it / I think I'll call the Mantis people tomorrow and see what they have to say . Hey guys I appreciate your help and I know its hard to explain exactly how its acting, if I could I'm sure you guys could solve my problem . But thanks anyway......

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Look at the carb and get the info off it as to model and brand. You can get a kit off the internet for cheap. The small flapper portion of the gasket acts as a fuel pump and it will harden if fuel is left in the tank. I think the Mantis will run after you rework the carb. I repair items that have been in pawn at a local pawnshop that is owned by a friend and I run into this problem often with engines that have been left held for months.

6. dodgetkboy78

dodgetkboy78 Active Member

You could screw the screws like 3 turns out, and see if it runs?
    If you try to give it throttle when you are pulling it, what does it do?

7. porboy298

porboy298 Well-Known Member

I have one and had problems and it just needed a fuel filter. Ordered one from
    the parts dept and away I went.

8. dogo

dogo Well-Known Member

Hey guys i sunk 14.45 for a carb kit, should be here in a couple of days. If that don't do it ? Maybe it can weight a trot line down. LOL To me it also has a weak spark, i mean I can hold the wire and pull the S-cord and i can feel it, but not a jarring shock. If you know what I mean ? This little Mantis belongs to a friend of mine . I don't think I said my son tore the carb all the way down. I mean all of it. I don't have any idea if all of it is there ? That's the bad thing. Of course he said it was all there . And maybe it is. Wish me luck and a lot of it when you go behind someone. You need it and then some.LOL