Mantis Tillers????

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Linda Camello, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Linda Camello

Linda Camello Well-Known Member

I received some info about the Mantis Tiller. Does anyone know anything at all about them? It is supposed to be very lightweight and easy to handle...and I could really use that feature! Would like to know more about it from you wonderful Homesteaders out there!! Thanks!!!!

2. my grandmother uses one in her beds, as it's just about all that she can handle. I took a few runs with it, and it certainly seems to be a nice functional little tiller. It wouldn't be worth much for trying to create new gardens or beds, more for maintenance on existing ones. It also showed a tendency to 'bounce' if ran on hard-packed soil, and it became necessary to hold it down until it broke the ground up a little better. It's also really nice for getting in between established plantings where a full-sized tiller just wouldn't go. The price for a new one seems excessive to me, but I'm a cheapskate ;-) I would think that you might be able to locate a fairly-priced used one if you were so inclined.

3. bill in mo

bill in mo Member

the above post is mine, had to log back in.

4. Steve in Ohio

Steve in Ohio Well-Known Member

You might want to compare some other Mini Tillers,http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/fg100.htm We have the Honda.
    I looked at the Mantis and used one but I didn't care for the quality of the tiller nor having a 2cycle engine.I think the new ones offer honda engines at about the same price.
    We are heading up to the Ohio Power Show in Columbus this morning so I'm sure to get sticker shock on the prices of new stuff...................................

5. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I have 2! They are wonderful machines for raised beds, already established gardens. Not good for breaking sod. I keep one in the greenhouse and the other for the outside garden and lending. Rent one and give it a try.