·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone have experience with Mangos?

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
A bit- buying and eating not growing! What do you want to know?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
My wife says "Thank You Very Much". And she's not smiling. LOL

Now there's another fruit tree I must have for my yard. I had forgotten all about Mango's. Found some 3ft. trees already. Guess I'll be ordering me a couple of them next week now. LOL

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Can I grow them in S AL?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Had a tree when we lived in Florida. Very, very messy. A full grown tree will produce hundreds of mangos and they all come ripe about the same time. The fallen fruit attracts every unwanted critter in the neighborhood. The worst of those was rats. They would scoot around the yard and the tree for weeks while the fruit was ripening. We would let a local guy come and remove as many mangos as he wanted just so we didn't have to deal with the critters and all the dropped fruit. We eventualy cut the tree down. My wife and I have a funny saying now when it comes to mangos. "OPM" Other peoples mangos. There was always someone in the neighborhood trying to give them away.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Mother in Law has one of those very fruitfull mangos tree, Last years the mangos were excellent. This Year the mangos taste like water, I was told this tree needs fertilizer. But I have no idea which one and how much of it? Please help. This tree is the pride and joy of my m.i.L. Please help.... :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mango trees will grow in just about any kind of soil and we never fertilized. Our yard was sand as deep as you could dig. Alot of mango trees only produce every other year. Climate and weater conditions greatly influence the flowering, and fruiting of the trees. Those same climated conditions can also impact the quality of the fruit. As long and the tree appears healthy I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can try picking a couple of mangos green and let them rippen off of the tree and see if they taste any better. Here is a link that has a lot more info on mango trees and mango production. Good luck.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/mango_ars.html

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:dance: Thank you for your answer, I working on that. Greenboy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts