mangels, sugar beets, etc

Discussion in 'Goats' started by billooo2, Jan 19, 2005.

1. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have read that I can feed things like mangels, sugar beets, turnips, etc to the goats. Has anyone had any experience in doing this? I assume they need to be cut up....how small do the pieces need to be?

2. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

We grew some mangels for the pigs this year and the goats loved them, once they learned it was something to eat. They liked the tops and bottoms. I pulled what I wanted out of the garden and fed fresh. One of my books mentions chopping or slicing before feeding to avoid choking, but I just threw the whole thing in--they were very large and the goats could only get small pieces off with their lower teeth.

The nutrient composition is mostly water (about 90%), low fiber, and high in net energy (mostly carbohydrates). It is grouped with green roughages in my Feeds and Feeding book.

I am going to try turnips this year, a variety with good tops and bottoms. I plan on using with the pigs but who knows :) .

Also, the goats loved pumpkins. I plan on growing a bunch for them this year. I have heard/read that the seeds are a natural wormer but have failed to find any documentation about that--just some recipes for making pumpkin seed tea for wormer.

A seed catalog that I like is R.H. Shumway's. They have odd things like stock beets/mangels.

3. keithil53

keithil53 Member

Here in Illinois, the university promotes forage turnips for
    winter forage.The tops are supposed be grazed twice and then let the livestock
    dig and eat the roots.This year, I throwed both regular and forage turnip s eeds onto
    soybeans during August.Livestock have to learn to like the taste of turnips.
    The roots of the forage turnips are the size of ping pong balls but taste the same as regular.
    Keith

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I never kept goats, but I also read the bit in the encyclopedia of country living about using beets and mangels for animal food. Seems goats was the best domestic animal that would utilizes this.

Once I grew mangels, just to see if they would grow here. They did, and about the size of a smaller rutabaga. Winter Swedes (rutabagas) can grow very large here and was wondering about that for feed?
    I was also wondering about Kohl Rabi, Kale, and some of the chinese or japanese large mild radishes for feed. Maybe they would also make the meat or milk strong tasting? just curious about all this.

5. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I love my Feeds and Feeding book, it is one of the older ones but still a lot of info.

It lists root crops most common as: mangels, rutabagas and turnips. Sometimes sugar beets, carrots, parsnips or potatoes are raised specially for stock. It also goes over sweet potatoes, rape, cabbage, kale, sunflowers, fruit, pumpkins and others (including kohlrabi, mint hay, .... which are discussed in the unabridged edition of Feeds and Feeding)

The mangels I grew were very large, some about a foot long and four to five inches wide.

6. Lrose

Lrose Well-Known Member

I was just looking over some back postings and saw yours. We have had goats for 24 years. In the summer months and fall they eat from the pasture and trimmings from the garden, everything from cabbage leaves to corn stalks. They only get a little grain when on the milk stand. In the winter they eat mangels everyday. The smaller ones we leave whole and the big ones that can go up to 27 lbs we shave off pieces with a big knife. They also like turnips, carrots , cabbage and a little goat ration; which is about a handful once a day for each goat. They always have high quality hay in front of them all winter as well as a salt lick and plenty of water. They have been well and healthy and seem to thrive.

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I think pumpkins are probably the most nutritious for the goats. Then corn/stalks and sunflowers/stalks. I think I may try a 1/4 acre Indian(3 sisters) garden for goat feed this year using corn, pumpkins and pole beans or field peas.

My girls are big fans of saurkraut...we had 2 cases given to us and us humans are not fond of it but the goats do head stands for it.

Mangels seem very interesting but my girls will not eat up the sugar beets when cleaning up the kitchen garden....maybe that need a little deprivation (winter) to make them less fussy?!

In the Little house series book #3 "Farmer Boy" talks of feeding field pumpkins and carrots to the livestock as well as corn etc.