Mangels for livestock feed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistrated, Oct 19, 2004.

1. We grew a 50 ft. row of mangels this year. I always heard they made good feed for cattle, and wanted to give them a try. Well, we dug some up and gave them to the cattle, and they wouldn’t eat them. Gave some to the hogs, same thing. The layers peck at them some, but don’t eat a whole lot. They taste OK to me, for something that is considered livestock feed, no bitterness or bad flavor. Any suggestions, besides letting the critters get real hungry?

2. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Hi! You might search the archives on this as I remember it has been discussed before.

I do remember that it was mentioned that they needed to be chopped up fairly small for the stock to eat it and..., this is just my opinion now...but from experience I think you need to introduce any new foods very slowly to animals.

http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=39176&goto=nextnewest

good luck, they really sounded like they are more trouble than they were worth but that's just my view.

LQ

3. ox

ox Well-Known Member

Ditto Little Quacker. The old timers tell me they chopped them up for the cattle.

4. sbeerman

sbeerman Well-Known Member

There no problem here. Easy to grow and we eat the tops just like reg. beet greens. For the goats I just pull them up brush some soie off and heav them over the fence to distrast the goats wile I sneak the People food out. I'm probely the only person who goies through there goat pen to the Garden. Real good planining HA HA. Little Quacker how come you think there a lot of trouble??
    Sandie OR