Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
what KIND Of mange is it? There are several dips and shampoos that can be used, but one kind of mange (demodex) is only treatable with Rx treatments. It'd be a good idea to have a vet look, and ask him if there are OTC treatments, and they'd probably be cheaper to purchase through a farm store or www.jefferspet.com

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
If its NOT a Collie or other herding breed you can use Ivomec 1% solution orally. Give .1 ( one tenth) ML per 10 lbs daily until a week or two after you stop seeing symptoms

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
my grandpa coated the dog with burnt motor oil, and my mother saved a chiuhuahua by bathing it in bleach water. Both dogs ended up beautiful. german Shepards carry the mange thing in their bloood and it can erupt at any time.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Bearfootfarm said:
If its NOT a Collie or other herding breed you can use Ivomec 1% solution orally. Give .1 ( one tenth) ML per 10 lbs daily until a week or two after you stop seeing symptoms
i use ivermectin too, except i give it sq, once a week for 4 weeks.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
My GSD's demodex responded to Ivomec. Incidentally, my own "rash" went away as her mange did. I gave it once a week, since I got recommendations between daily and every 3 weeks :) I did follow the dosage recommendations though: Ivomec 1% solution, given orally at the rate of 1/10ml per 10 lbs.

You can buy Ivomec at the farm store, it's injectable ivermectin for cattle and swine. You'll need a syringe with needle with 1/10cc (or ml) markings to get the Ivomec out of the bottle and to measure it, and a bigger syringe to squirt the Ivomec into so you can mix it with about 2ml of broth or something else that's tasty. As in, suck about 2ml of tasty liquid into the bigger syringe, then squirt the Ivomec from the smaller syringe into that.

Years ago, I was taught to give liquids between the gumline and the cheek of an animal to keep the stuff from going down the airway. So, that's what I did with Mink, and it worked beautifully. I made her sit by my side, facing the same way, then I cupped my left hand around her face and pulled the corner of her lips out enough to stick the syringe in. Then I squirted the stuff in her mouth, slowly enough so she could lick and swallow (else it drips out as you push the plunger).

Ivomec is said to be terribly bitter, so that's where the tasty juice comes in. Broth or the liquid from a can of peas or corn will work fine, if your dog is anything like mine. Top it off with a saucerful of the same afterwards, and the whole thing gets to be a treat session rather than a yucky, forceful medicating experience.

I think Ivomec needs to be or should be kept in the fridge.

That's the condensed version of the advice I got here when I asked about Mink - can't beat this forum for help!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much everybody! And I've got ivermectin on hand having horses anyway. I heard about the used motor oil, I've got an over the counter dog mange remedy and I've used it but he came from a litter with mange and in the year and a half I've had him this is the second time he has it. I will give him a couple of weeks more and if what I try doesn't work I'll take him to the vet.
Good idea to mix ivomec with broth. He loves gravy train! :)

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
You can also mix the ivermectin into a lotion- say a moisturizer, and rub it in-- I've had good results with demodex by mixing the ivermectin in some vitamin E oil and rubbing in---heck-- one day, I found a mnasty spot on my old setter, and mixed the ivermectin in with some cortisone cream--- vet loved the result!!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like that idea too, I wonder what other lotion would be safe, I've got aloe vera gel? I could feed it to him (the ivermectin) AND put it on the skin mixed with lotion. Wait a minute, I've got hydrocortisone cream. Man I'm in business! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Ummm... I wouldn't just mix and match whatever you happen to have handy. There's a reason why you're supposed to measure the Ivomec you give him - it's to keep from overdosing him. If you add a topical application, you overdose too. And I'd double-check on the safety of combining ivermectin and hydrocortisone as well.

Considering that demodex mites live in dogs' skin and generally only become a problem when the dog's immune system is compromised, it seems kinda important to NOT weaken him any further. Too much medication takes a lot of processing, so it takes energy, so it weakens the body or at least keeps it from rebounding.

ETA: Is ivermectin for horses also the 1% solution, like what they sell for "cattle and swine"?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
There used to be a product called "Happy Jack" I thin k it is still around. It stains and smells terrible but it also works on a lot of skin conditions. I think they have one especially for mange(you will have to check which kind of mange). I would do it outside and keep the dog outside until it is cleared up.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was planning to ask today what the amounts are in mixing. And I was ASKING about the aloe vera. I wouldn't put anything on my dog without having more information.
I checked and I've got zimecterin (ivermectin) on hand right now and it is 1.87%.
Busybee, how much bleach in how much water and how do you apply the used motor oil? I've heard of using used motor oil, long time ago and don't remember details. Terry, how much ivermectin in how much vit. E oil?
Junie, where can I find elemite?
I've had dogs all my life but never dealt with mange until now. Okay enough typing! I've got two kitties on my computer table, need I say more! lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.