mange

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by HobbyfarmingMO, Apr 6, 2006.

1. HobbyfarmingMO

HobbyfarmingMO Member

I have 2 new gilts, 4.5 weeks old and I'm pretty sure they have mange. Any suggestions?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

treat with ivermectin

3. HobbyfarmingMO

HobbyfarmingMO Member

There are many to choose from ... topical, oral, etc. Can you tell me which one ... Thanks, Cheryl.

4. PlowGirl

PlowGirl Well-Known Member

A permectrin in an oil base works fantastic. Just pour a little on the back. The oil is good for their dry skin too. Follow the directions though, a little goes a long way.

5. HobbyfarmingMO

HobbyfarmingMO Member

I may have been premature in saying that it was mange ... by they are definitely missing some hair and scratching a bunch. I found a few ticks on the one that was doing the most scratching. My MFA guy said that he highly doubted it was mange and that it was probably dry skin ... so I'm going to first try the permectrin and go from there. Does the permectrin help against ticks and flies and such? Thanks to you both for your help.

6. PlowGirl

PlowGirl Well-Known Member

Very likely, it's lice. Sometimes the lice are tiny and hard to detect, but can usually be found right behind the ears and on the abdomen between legs and flank. The permectin solution will clear it up, but will need to be reapplied on a reoccuring basis. As for the dry skin, absent of lice, an oil soaked scratching post will allow self application. Mineral oil, neutral oil, or some even use used motor oil. I don't know if I'd want any of that rubbing off on me. Good luck.

7. HobbyfarmingMO

HobbyfarmingMO Member

That's funny ... The guy who owns our feed store said that when he was a kid they used to poor used motor oil down the backs of the pigs and they loved it! I thought that sounded crazy .... I think I'll stick to mineral oil. LOL

I did check behind their ears and didn't see anything ... they seem to be doing better and scratching less.

Thanks so much!

8. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

I spray mangy pigs with a spray bottle with apple cider vinegar and water, with some hydrogen peroxide added also. Usually works with one application.