Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
San Antonio and San Marcos, Texas and Albuquerque, N.M. are among the few cities that require microchips for pets, which are implanted just under the skin on an animal's neck. Owners of lost animals can be identified by the information encoded on the chip and kept in local and national databases.

Microchipping can cost $10 to $60.

Your children will be next.

·
keep it simple and honest
3,810 Posts
PA has a new law that became effective Jan. 1 that all sheep and goats must carry either an ear tag or other identification, supposedly as part of the scrapies program.
If you transport either animal without, you are subject to a fine up to $10,000.
Yet, the USDA won't allow a farmer to test all cows for mad cow disease...go figure.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Because it has nothing to do with food safety and everything to do with testing the technology before forcing it on humans. There are already localities proposing criminals be chipped, London wants to chip all their police officers, it's only a matter of time before governments want to chip everyone. It's all about contolling the people.

Kendall

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
There are a number of states that are already trying to put together bills/laws outlawing mandatory implants in humans. You might want to urge your state to jump on the bandwagon there. Wisconsin has been putting something together for a while now. I believe it was first broached in 2006....the outlawing of the mandatory chips, that is.

Missouri was doing the same, and I think Idaho? can't remember.

The Missouri law was in response to some businesses requiring the chip be implanted in workers....http://www.columbiamissourian.com/s...ri-law-would-fine-employers-requiring-microc/

·
Premium Member
7,174 Posts
San Antonio and San Marcos, Texas and Albuquerque, N.M. are among the few cities that require microchips for pets, which are implanted just under the skin on an animal's neck. Owners of lost animals can be identified by the information encoded on the chip and kept in local and national databases.

Microchipping can cost $10 to $60.

Your children will be next.
Sorry guy, they already are.

The Masons have a program in Missouri called "Mochip" and are chipping children "free" so if lost/kidnapped they can be found. Figure they'll be doing old people next for the same reason...'cause you know, if it helps just ONE senior get found before they die, it's worth it! (so NOT!!)

Mon

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
We sort of have mandatory micro chipping of pets in the EU. Your pet has to have on in order to get a passport. Your pets has to have a passport to enter other countries (some places allow tattoos still, but only for another year or so - tattooing sounds much more painful then micro chipping to me!). Our dog now has 2, one for the US (he had to have to get into the EU) and now one for the EU (he has to have to get out of the EU). Seems the US chips and the EU chips won't work on the same scanners, it's cheaper to re-chip him then for us to buy a scanner (which we must do if he doesn't have an EU chip). At least he didn't mind getting the chips. He didn't even flinch when they got either of them.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
One is often reading about a lost of stolen dog or cat showing up many miles away and returned to its owner via the chip. My young cat got one automatically from our vet when she was spayed. Old cat was either lost or dumped and ended up in my live trap. Been a most loving cat ever since. Although she had been spayed, no chip.

Martin

·
Registered
92 Posts
From what I've read the incidence of cancer is much higher in chipped animals.
And not all animal shelters require chipping. If they did, I wouldn't have my shelter-adopted dog.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I suppose that if someone eventually didn't want to have it proved that a dog or cat belonged to them, for owner liability or other purposes, then there might be cause to refuse it.

Martin

·
loves all critters
1,048 Posts
Beaglemommy, I would like to know where you read that. Chipping is relatively new, and data could be squed. ie; pets that were chiped when the tech first came out may have monetary benifits such as more vet care to even dx the cancer. I would like to see the numbers. Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here is the first link I could find:
http://www.spychips.com/blog/media/
A partial quote:
This is about Leon, the French Bulldog
"Jeanne located a team of researchers in Italy who agreed to test tissue samples from a biopsy of Léon's tumor to determine if the microchip was implicated in his aggressive cancer. They documented their findings in a 2006 paper entitled, “Fibrosarcoma with Typical Features of Postinjection Sarcoma at Site of Microchip Implant in a Dog: Histologic and Immunohistochemical Study.” The full text is available online at: http://www.vetpathology.org/cgi/content/full/43/4/545.

Since Léon's suspicious cancer was not enough evidence to prove microchip implants were a threat, Jeanne decided to search for other proof of a link. She unearthed scholarly animal studies documenting a possible chip-cancer link and posted several of these at the website that she formed as a tribute to Léon:

http://www.noble-leon.com/resourcesAdvanced"

I do understand that this is not conclusive, but I tend to try to avoid things that MAY be related to cancer or other serious diseases until my confidence can be rebuilt, if possible or reasonable.

·
Premium Member
27,945 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts