managing pet wastes

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by SquashNut, Jan 19, 2007.

1. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

How do you manage the poo from your dog pens?
    I have 3 dogs now and boy do the manufacture the stuff.

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

My BIL used to raise Brittany Spaniels. When he first built his kennels, he put PVC pipe, cut in half like a gutter, around the concrete pads. They fed into a larger pipe that went to a small "septic tank" that was buried about 6 feet deep. It worked very well since all he had to do was hose it out. The tank was about 3 ft tall and 3 ft around.

My dogs have a lot of pasture to roam in so I dont have to do anything with it myself You can also try changing their feed. The less fillers (grains) there are the less they pass through.

3. AlaOutlaw

AlaOutlaw Well-Known Member

Depending on your situation you have a couple of different choices. If you have a lot of land you can find an out of the way place to put the "deposit" and keep it covered with lime or dig a pit and put all of it in there and cover with lime. If you don't have a place completely out of the way then with only three dogs you could shovel it up everyday and put it in a garbage bag then put it in with the household garbage on trash day.

4. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

I pick mine up and dump in the woods on my property. When I was feeding a different food, I couldn't do this as it would sit around for ages and STUNK. With this food it pretty much disintegrates over a couple of days and has no smell after the first day if not disturbed....much like feeding raw. I have a friend that uses the septic tank too...

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

we used too take the dog fertilizer out too the fields and find a groundhog hole, poured in one hole it caused the hog too move on ! repeated over the years it moved a whole lot of groundhogs! when we lived in q's dad would dig a four foot deep hole with a box like a bee hive on top with a lid. topped with lime from time to time it eventualy became a rose bush plating area. we now compost the manure with sheep or horse manure for spreading on field crops.

6. canine14

canine14 Well-Known Member

What does the lime do? Does it accelerate the break-down? I also thought that you couldn't use dog waste for anything at all practical, like mulch. Is this an urban myth?

Lisa.

7. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

8. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

can you lime the soil where the dogs live?

9. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Yes, you can. However, if you have small and low-to-the-ground dogs, be careful about putting too much down. It can burn paws if applied too heavily. Lime will also help in acidic areas and tends to kill fleas. It's fabulous for grass too.

10. mutthouse

mutthouse Active Member

Cricket, what type of food are you feeding that breaks down so fast?

Lin

11. CountryBeth

CountryBeth Well-Known Member

We used to dig a hole (not too big, but not too small) and dump the stuff in there and sprinkle a little lime on it. My husband made a medium sized plywood cover so other animals or humans would accidently step into it when snow covered it.