Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Critterlover
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made an appointment for yesterday morning for my horse vet to come out and asked if while he was here if he'd help me draw blood from my goats to be tested for CL and CAE. Between the time I made the appointment and yesterday when he actually came, my favorite doe presented with a lovely abscess on her neck. He looked at it, drew the samples, and lanced and drained the abscess. I was surprised when he said that he had seen goats with CL before and that this discharge didn't look the same. Turns out he's quite a good goat vet. Anyway, lucky for me, Pan American Labs is within driving distance for me so I called ahead and took the samples to them for testing. I had the nicest conversation with the owner and highly recommend them to anyone for your testing needs. He was so kind and ran my samples yesterday and even called me to tell me all four of my goats are healthy, happy, and negative. He knew I was anxious for the results. So last night I hugged all my goats, doctored my beautiful girl and gave her my very first penicillin shot this morning. She took it like a champ and I was trembling from head to toe but did it.

Now I feel like I need a day off!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Way to go. :dance: I'm so glad that they all came back negative. That is wonderful news. I know that it's scary when you see one with an abscess. I've been there and done that.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
Whew! That must have been a relief. Did the doe have an injection on her neck where the abscess came up? That's usually what happens with mine. I've gotten really good at lancing them. :)

Lucky you, to find a knowledgeable goat vet - treat him like gold!

·
Critterlover
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. I was too nervous to give vaccinations this year so my sweet hubby did it for me and the abscess was at the injection site (of course, he feels terrible and I told him he did nothing wrong). So the penicillin went IM instead of SQ. She barely flinched and I was a wreck. Good thing is I have regular penicillin instead of the long acting so I get to do this for the next 6 days. I should be shake free by the 7th dose! :baby04:

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
What a day you had!

I will be retesting my herd and will be using PanAm this time and not WADDL. PanAm is closer, of course, and cheaper plus WADDL tests all came back negative anyway. So it's good to hear you had a great experience with the lab. Was it Dr. Glass that you talked to?

·
Critterlover
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, he was so incredibly nice, even offered to come and show me how to do the draws myself. I told him thanks but the vet already had a reason to come out (my gelding) but I thought that was way above and beyond. I met his son, too. They are quality folks for sure.

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Good to know. It makes all that testing stuff easier when you have nice people helping like that. When I sent my blood samples into Washington State, the people on the other end of the phone were real nice. I called so many times with stupid questions too. I thought they would get irritated but they didn't. So it's good to hear nice stories about this local lab. I have always heard really nice things about Dr. Glass.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hope this doesn't sound stupid but I have had many of the absesses and usually just let them run their course (takes a long time). Is penecellin what you give them? Do you have to lance it and do you stitch them afterwards? This info would be great for future reference. lbarton1

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
It's really important if your goats have abcesses to have them tested for CL. This does not run it's course and go away. The abcesses burst and infect your property and other goats. If you are not sure of your goats CL status, do not lance an abcess anywhere that can not be sterilized and do not put the goat in with other goats. If a goat has an abcess that you know is not CL, it should still be drained as it is an infection. I would have the vet do it so you know what you're dealing with.

·
Critterlover
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lbarton1, I had the same "now what" type question when the vet was here. he lanced the abscess, forced it to drain and left it oozing. I asked, "now do we stitch this?" and he said no, just leave it open and let it drain. I drove to the lab, dropped off my samples, and went on to my work day. I went by the house at 5 to check on things and while the whole thing looked nasty, she was doing just fine. By the time we got home that night it was 10 and I brought everybody in, checked her over and put an antiseptic on it, mostly because I couldn't help it (must doctor it), She got her first shot of pen the next morning (my husband was working from home and could watch her for a bad reaction) and I covered it with SWAT (an antiseptic that also repels flies). Over the past week I've found that the ointments are pretty pointless as the drainage and the constant rubbing on the fence makes most of it end up down her side. My lovely white goat with a pink head now just looks oily and dingy with a big sore. Its healing nicely and she's tired of the injections, but comes right back to me for a treat afterwards.

I'd agree though that at least have the next one checked out, just to make sure its nothing serious. I almost waited too long and it could have been bad for my other goats if she had been sick. Paying the vet to do it once is cheaper than replacing your entire herd.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Bob Glass is a terrific person. He is ready willing and able to help out when and where he can.

He will be coming to Maine in October to teach a class on goat diseases and showing how to do blood draws at our Goat School. We have openings for his presentation still available. Just click on the link for more information. It's not often someone with his background is willing to travel over 2400 miles to share their knowledge.

http://www.mainegoats.com/goat_school_2004.htm

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
homeschoolmama, do you live in the area too? Just wondering because of your post :) If so, there are sure alot of us around here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts