Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ate an apple that was so good, I darned near ate my fingers trying to get every last bite. Have you had any really good fruit this season?

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Yes, we've been getting some really good cantaloupe this year.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
We haven't had any apples as of yet. But my blueberries, blackberries and plums were really sweet. But the Watermelons are out of this world! We have maybe a 100 old fashion Crimson Sweet and we have yet to get one that wasn't sweet and bright red. I had a half one for lunch (nothing else but watermelon) and thinking of eating the other half for dinner...Good stuff--these are almost as good as our vine ripe tomatoes!

·
Gardener
245 Posts
Yep, the gala apples are really something! It's their first year, so I don't know if it's just cause they're home grown, or if it's a good year... but they're really good! :icecream:

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
I bought some gala apples to eat at the farmers market and they have been excellent!

tomatoes from the garden have been superb this year.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These apples were store bought, which is surprising. Our pear tree is loaded. DD went out and picked a bowl full yesterday and made pear sorbet. It was delicious. The pears are still a little under ripe, so it gave it a bit of tartness. I can't wait until they are fully ripe. I've been getting fruit from the grocery store and it's all been very good this year. We are really going through it too, prefering fruit to other desserts and snacks. :1pig:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
My favorite apple right now is the Pink Lady. It is tart and sweet and juicy. In the last year I've never had a bad one. YUM!

What kind was yours Sancraft?

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Sancraft what kind of pears? Unsure what to plant here S AL.

QB I have Crimson Sweet. I'm only one who eats wm so give away a few a week and eat huge chunks; instead of a few drinks of water sometimes. Not always perfect- dunno if I know how to pick them ripe- but always good.

·
Registered
655 Posts
We had Jonagold apples last season and they were scrumdilliocious (as dh would say LOL!). We got about 20 bushel of those at the local produce auction and I canned most of them. But we were eating them like crazy! Even dd (who is 3) would eat 4-5 apples a day when we had these. She normally likes apples, but I was seeing one in her hand all day when we had these in the house!

Yum!
Shawna

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
tree fruit in our area is bad.

Our apple orchard is usually loaded this time of year. I doubt if I could get a small basket from 10 trees. Only 5 peaches in the 2 trees. Nothing on the cherry, peach, plum.

We had good rain amounts this year but the past 2 years have been miserably dry.

The grapes are coming on strong.

T

·
0 Posts
Last fall we took the kids (plus one) out to the local apple orchard. They encourage you to eat the apples right off the tree-and to eat as many as you want. The granny smiths we had were so yummy we all ate about 4 each. Even the little ones were delighting in them. It was almost magical how we just stood there in the orchard, laughing and saying how GOOD they were.

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Apples are fruit of the gods as far as I'm concerned. Although my preference changes I have to say that the Honey Crisp is top of the line. Can't think of anything better.

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
We bought some Gala apples at the store and they had a New Zealand sticker on them and they were really good. Is it winter in New Zealand now?

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know what kind of pear tree this is. It was here when we got this house (in town). I'll ask DD to post pics tonight when she gets home from work of the bowl of pears that other DD picked. Even a little green, they are tasty. I can't wait until they fully ripen. The sorbet was so yummy that she made from them.

I had an apple and peach breakfast this moring. And a plum and grape lunch, along with some raw snow peas that were also delicious. I haven't had fruit like this in literally, years. I remember the fruit tasting like this when I was a child. So yummy, juicy and sweet.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
OH, the strawberries are good (we have everbearing), the tomatoes are good, even the blackberries and black raspberries were good...but I have to say that so far this year, my very favorites have been the wineberries and that lone Royal Gala apple from our new this year apple tree. It was very hard to share that one apple with the rest of the family.

Reese

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
It's been a pretty good fruit year. My favorites are probably the strawberries - soooooo good! Our plum tree FINALLY bore a few fruit for the first time, and they were criminally good - far and away the best plums we've ever had. Maybe next year it will bear more than a half dozen. :rolleyes:

Peaches are in full swing, and pears and apples looking plentiful. We made cherry wine for the first time this year and bottled it a few weeks ago (though we're supposed to let it age for awhile before drinking); peach wine went into the fermenter Monday; and we hope to have it out and bottled in time to get apple wine started. I think I know what I'm giving people this year for Christmas. :cool:

Pear sorbet is a great idea and one we'll probably do, plus peach sorbet. We have enough canned peaches, peach jam and peach salsa to last for ages, and even after making five gallons' worth of wine, we have tons left. Peach ice cream and peach sorbet this weekend, I think! :dance:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts