Man are my Jalapenos hot this year.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Sep 15, 2006.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

WOOF.

Still getting bumper crops of Jalapenos. What's still coming strong in your area?

I am still getting tomatoes, although the chickens are stealing them from me daily... free range my eye.

Broccoli

Even getting a second crop of green beans.

cabbage

Radishes

Okra

Peas didn't do too good, oh well.

2. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

My jalapenos were great this year. HUGE crop and they are still blooming.

The second planting of corn is doing well and my accidental squash is blooming again.

3. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

Oh, almost forgot. My crop of weeds has been incredible! It has reseeded itself and has taken over everything. If you guys have a good recipe, I would appreciate it!

:)

:grump:

4. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

that reminds me of last year's habanero crop and a personal incident...just remember to wash your hands very well, lol.

5. seedspreader

LOL, yeah, good advice... especially for those men in the room.

6. tricklecreek

tricklecreek Well-Known Member

a handfull of ice cream works in an emergency, )dont ask(

7. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I planted a bunch of stuff a month or so ago, so I have lots of yummy salad greens right now. We'll see if I end up getting a crop of green beans or not...they will probably flower within the next week.

P.S. Peppers are not gender specific.

8. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

LOL I got to learn to read some day. I swear when I saw the subject I thought it said "Man are my Japanese hot this year."

9. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

What flavor?

:nerd:

10. tricklecreek

tricklecreek Well-Known Member

11. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

Now that was funny!

12. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Police academy>Pepper spray training>Bathroom visits> Yowsa!!!

But back to the garden, if I have to eat one more cucumber or zucchini I'm gonna turn into one. The neighbors and the girls at DW's office run when they see her coming out of fear that she is going to try to unload more of this stuff on them.

We've put up enough green beans and tomatoes for three years and the plants are still blossoming. Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and turnips are about ready for harvest. I might try one more small planting of radishes and leaf lettuce today. The potatoes can wait for another week or two before I'll have to dig them up.

13. seedspreader

Between my chickens and other pests, my cukes did horrible this year.

14. Outlaw9

Outlaw9 GO VOLS!!!!

Oh man my jalepenios have done great. What are some good ways to store them. I have pickled some. Any other ways to can em?

15. HappyYooper

HappyYooper Well-Known Member

Jalapeno jelly~~YUMMO~~spread some cream cheese on a ritz.. some jelly on top....Now I'm craving it!

16. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

My serranos are scorching this year! The other day, I strung some up with needle and strong thread, of course neglecting to put on gloves. It took me a while to figure out how I got that wahoo blister on my thumb... Yup. Chemical burn. Won't do THAT again!

Tomatoes still going, though they have slowed to the point where I can keep up with processing them (canning and dehydrating). I tore out the cucumber vines today -- NO MORE!! I still have a bushel I need to go through, and I know some are going to land in the compost pile. Oh, well...

Corn's done. Still have beans, though I'm thinking I'm going to leave the rest for drying/seed.

Scads of basil, loads of rosemary... Thinking of having a Pesto Processing Day come Wednesday.

Disappointed in the spuds this year, but I am making plans for Super Potato Patch this Fall. By the time I am done prepping that bed before winter, the spuds will be BEGGING me to slap them in come Spring.

Waiting on the delivery of my garlic.

And I popped some Baby Cos (Romaine) and Turnip Greens in one bed. May sprinkle some spinach and radish seed as well, see what comes up before the frost hits (and if I am motivated enough to put a mini hoop house over the bed to save what does come up).

All in all, a productive year. Next year, of course, will be a whole new adventure.

Pony!

17. Yldrosie

Yldrosie Well-Known Member

My peppers did great too. I'm still roasting and freezing. Gonna have hot lips for months, I hope. They go too fast. By the way, these are Hatch green chiles.

18. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Our beans froze a little bit in end of July. Then we had to leave them and come back to Vancouver (600 miles away) in the end of August, and since I didn't want them to freeze again, I made these covers for them.

I opened up some of the tomato cages (5' x 7' wire mesh for concrete reinforcing) and put plastic on them. I will be back to them in two weeks to see how they did.

We had a drought this year, driest year in 43 years. But our peas did great because we have drip irrigation in the summer and use mulch.

But we had to turn the water off when we left this time, because it will freeze before we get back in two weeks.

[​IMG]
    Outside of one of the covered Bean patchs. I covered 4 rows like this. I put stakes in the ground at each corned to help hold the mesh in place. I use plastic self locking electrical ties to attach the plastic to the mesh.

[​IMG]
    Inside, these Beans were 5 weeks old in this images, and they had one frost which damaged them when they were just starting.

So who knows? I will let you know in a few weeks if it worked (without water.)

Enjoy,

Alex

19. sweetcountrygrl

sweetcountrygrl Well-Known Member

ZYG -- Our peppers are still producing like crazy as well. (Our cukes didn't do well this year either -- just enough for some fresh ones to eat and a couple of batches of freezer pickles.) Acorn Squash was a bumper crop and the onions were some of the biggest and best in the past few years.

20. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

What's still coming strong?

Turnips and radishes are doing well. Broccoli is struggling mightily against flea beetles, though. I didn't plant any other fall crops this year.

The pole beans are rallying and sending out new shoots and blooms. Average first frost is in three weeks so I don't expect much to come from that - but I'm not ripping them out yet, either!

The peppers are doing so-so. Serrano and jalapeno doing the best, cayenne doing well. Anaheim, bell, and italian gave me about 3 peppers per plant and that was it :(

I think the crookneck squash are finally done, thanks to squash bugs.

Oh! and I really Really need to dig up my red potatoes. They were the latest to mature and I need to get them out of the ground.

A good way to store jalapenos:

Jalapeno Poppers
    Mix 1 pkg (8 oz?) cream cheese, 2 cups shredded cheddar, and a bunch of bacon bits (real bacon, not the fake stuff). Split and seed the jalapenos and stuff with cheese filling. Bake at 350 for about 15-20 mins or you can freeze and bake later.