MaMa Rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tadpole, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Tadpole

Tadpole Tadpole

What makes a MaMa Rabbit eat her little ones? This is twice she has done this> I had a person say once they do this they will always do this. Need to eat her!! Has anyone ever heard of them eating there babys?

2. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

I haven't had this problem, but I have only had 1 litter, although expecting 2 more next week! I was always told not to touch the babies (even though the books say to do it) because that will make them get overly protective and eat them. So we leave babies alone until about a week has passed and mama rabbit is calm. I will be interested to see what else is said on this thread :).

Woodsmokeinherhair!

3. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

she will eat her young for any number of reasons, eather she gets spooked and stressed there for the babies must not be safe so she eats them, she is defisient in something being fed a pour diet so she eats them, they are already dead or something is wrong with them so she eats them, or she is just plane a bad mother and needs to be culled
    if it happens to be because of you touching the babies then before you touch them distract her with an apple wedge and rub her nose with vanilla to mask everything she smells so she wont smell you on the kits

4. dixonsrabbitry

dixonsrabbitry Well-Known Member

Touching them wont make her kill her litter.

I would say if she doesnt get it right by the second try, then cull her.

5. animalfarmer

animalfarmer Well-Known Member

Tadpole,
    This having been her second try,I too would hang her up.If she has just recently had her babies she should be fat and in good flesh and will probably dress out well.Slaughtering and dressing out this doe will be the best way to minimize your loss.Best of luck,John.

6. Tadpole

Tadpole Tadpole

I never touched her littleones at all. When I went out there the 2 rabbits had them and had already eaten them. Some had there back feet missing and some were all but head gone. Nothing can get to them so I know they are just bad mom's. The got to go. As for as there diet, I only feed them there Purina Rabbit Chow. Has everthing in it already.

7. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

It really is ok to touch them, and you should. You wouldn't want a dead kit in the nest for a week. Think of the flies and what would happen to the live kits.

I agree with the rest - it's time to cull.

8. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It sounds from your last post as though you have two momma rabbits that are killing and eating their young. You don't, by any chance, have them both in the same cage, do you? The rabbits we bought last summer had been housed together and one did not manage to raise her babies. Given her own cage, she is a wonderful mom. So I just thought I would mention it, just in case...

9. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I keep saying this. I found that when I had rabbits eating kits, I would give her a couple of hairball formula cat kibble and it would fix it. Does that ate kits in the past, stopped. If I gave pregnant does that were due a few days before and after, I never had a problem again.

10. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

I had a Rex rabbit that would eat her babies every time- she hated being touched so I left her alone. She would bite it you touched or picked her up- so was an easy one to cull. I gave my doe 3 shots, tried quieter/darker location, tried diet change and different type of nest box -still didn't fix it. After that decided it was, 2 strikes your out- but never had that problem since.

11. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

It all dependson the temperment of the mother. I've had some that were alone and ate the young and I have a pair of sisters that can kindle together or one at a time and neither of them harm the other's kits.

Once bitten twice sht. Pardon the pun, but if you tried 2x and she still does it, either go for the 3rd or get rid of her.

12. KSALguy

if you have two bred does in the same cage you are BOUND for problems, you do have two separate nest boxes right? two bred does in a confined area like that are going to be territorial, and will fight over the best nest site, if you had them on the ground in a colony type setting with plenty of room for them to dig their own burrow that is one thing but in a cage two bred doe wont get along unless your cage is HUGE,
    give them each their own cage and their own nest box and try again

13. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

That's not true, and my does are proof. If they were raised from day 1 together and left together, they will raise kits together. I have breed mine several times and neither doe has harmed any kits. They will even share kits, sometimes.

14. KSALguy

if you have a large enough cage, and they are from the same litter, and have been togather their whole life, and have complementing personalitys they yes that can work, but if you have a small cage, with does that have not been raisd togather their entier life, or they just have contrairy personalitys (there are lots of contrairy rabbits) and just dont get along then NO it wont work, there are alot of variables to consider

15. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm sure some does, particularly sisters, get along just fine. Others don't.

The point I was trying to make is that IF I had two does, caged together, who were killing their babies... then the first thing I would do is put them in separate cages, side by side perhaps, but their own territory where they feel in charge. If this did not cause a change for the better in their mothering, THEN I would cull them.

16. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

Sorry, lol ... wrong forum! lol