Mama Doe Died Today?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kickingbird, Feb 13, 2005.

1. kickingbird

kickingbird Active Member

We Went Out To The Barn This Morning And Mama Was Just Laying There. She Was Still Warm And I Tried To Thump On Her Chest And Tried To Restart Her Heart But Was Unsucessful. We Had Buried Her Around 10:00 Am. I Am Not Sure Why She Passed But I Think It Had Something To Do With This Being Her First Kidding And The Fact That She Had Three.. I Also Noticed That She Had Not Eaten Much Since She Gave Birth. Has Anyone Had This Problem? Well Now Its Off To Bottle Feeding The Bucklings.. Wish Us Luck On That.
    Thanks,
    Jarred

2. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry about Mama goat. I hope all goes well with your kids.

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

when you pulled the third kid you might have damaged something and she bleed to death. i don't think it has anything to do with her having three kids. was this your first kidding experience? sorry for your loss. what kind of goats you have?
    susanne

4. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

:( Sorry to hear about your loss kickingbird...<you had the similiar birthing experience to me with the one baby stuck with a leg back>...I tend to think like you though that the fact that she had 3 had something to do with it. They were all bucks werent they? were they all big strong and healthy? if yes yes then she has put a lot into her kids during the pregnancy, it can really drain the life out of them. The fellow I bought my buck kid from had a doe this season almost die like yours, she gave birth to 5 babies...she put so much in to hers that she didnt have anything left to make milk. My doe that had the 3 does did a lot of lying down for the first few days...her legs were so sore and stiff from carrying the weight of the kids around. My Penny is a Toggenburg. :)

5. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

It could have been as earlier suggested of tearing something in birthing, however a common mistake we all make is in feeding our pregger does be they 1st fresheners or not. Please go read the article on hypocalcemia written by Sue Reith on http://www.saanendoah.com/goatss.html and then also read the one on Ketosis.

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I make it a point to always feed my girls something very tempting after they kid....usually oatmeal or kix cereal mixed with yogurt and molasses water in their drinking water...

We had a girl that had trips (Nubian) with no trouble at all but we did have to bottle feed (she never raised her own). My other first fresheners(Nubian's daughters) had twins first time. We did have a large breech buck that I thought had a broken leg (died at 3do)now sure it was selenium...mom got a HORRIBLE case of mastitis on one side. I did not help the doe pass the breech baby but I was on the phone with vet being prepped to help but he cautioned to give her time...she was a big girl and he was sure she had room.

We are hoping for better luck this Spring....we have a big box of kix, oatmeal and yogurt in the freezer as well as selenium-e gel

I'm so sorry you've had to go through this but thank you for sharing...it makes all of us better goat keepers! Goodluck with the 3 billy goats (gruff)!