maloclusion bad teeth what should I do?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by bojay, Jul 6, 2005.

1. bojay

bojay Active Member

I just found out that some of our young rabbits have "bucked teeth". I'm taking one into the vet tomorrow to have the teeth clipped.

Is it true that this is genetic and should I stop breeding the parents (neither of which have this problem). What are the concerns and common solutions to this problem?

2. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry you had that problem come up. yes, it generally is genetic although lines gentic lines that don't have a problem for a long time will occasoinally have one show up...that's why you need to check each rabbits' teeth before you sell it to someone or keep it for breeding or showing. Instead of paying a vet bill, get a pair of SHARP side cutters, flip the rabbit upside down under your arm to hold it, have someone help hold it's lips out of the way, and snip the teeth off. If it's a very young one, a pair of sharp scissors will work too. If it's a pet, check the teeth OFTEN and clip them and generally they do fine. I wouldn't recommend keeping it alive if it's not.

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Trim the teeth until eating size and then eliminate it from your herd. Would take mom and dad to the stew pot too. Rabbits are too easy to breed and inexpensive enough to buy that putting up with any genetic faults is a waste of time and money.

4. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

ditto what yucca said!

5. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

If it isn't a pet, eat it! :D

6. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I had a few with this problem, then finally narrowed it down to the doe that was passing the gene on. Got rid of her, and have had no more occurances. I have 1 of her offspring left, who may or may not have the gene, but he will never be a breeder, he's just pretty to look at. A nice buck suede looking velveteen.

7. JayinCT

JayinCT Well-Known Member

I had a buck that had that same problem way back when I was starting off. He was one of my breeders. He actually didn't have the problem right off. Seems like from what I remember, it came on around two years of age. I culled him out and as of yet, have had no problems with the repacment breeders or their offspring I have retained from him. I'm not saying you don't need to worry about the gene being passed around, I may just be one of the lucky ones. Until I found out what it was and got some advise, I was trimming his teeth every two weeks or he couldn't eat. I would cull it out if it were mine. Hope it's not a pet you have fallen in love with.

Jay

8. bojay

bojay Active Member

An update. The rabbit I was taking to the vet for trimming has been culled, unfortunately. I would like to learn how to trim teeth and I thank everyone that has given such advice. The vet I visited made the process sound so bad (and expensive) that it would scare a rabbit to death (something about a drummel tool). You all have brought it back down to earth, thank you.

Which kind of scissors should I use? Will Fiskars heavy duty sewing scissors sufffice?

I have another young rabbit that looks like it might have bad teeth, I might try to trim those teeth myself before choosing elimination.

The rabbits I'm speaking of are not meat rabbits. They are the fanciers for the children to enjoy and 4-h.

Again, thanks to all for your help.

9. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Any SHARP scissors will do on the little ones and VERY sharp side wire cutters will do on the older ones....but do be sure to have someone help hold the lips out of the way... and there may be "flying teeth" fragments so watch your eyes. You may want to really consider if the amimal will be up to 4-H quality before you enter it in a show. maybe the 4-H leader could help you make a wise decision about that one. Sorry you have to deal with this. Best wishes.

10. JayinCT

JayinCT Well-Known Member

I would not pass that animal on to anyone if it were me unless they were going to eat it. Those teeth aren't going to stop growing and getting long. They will need to be clipped on a regular basis and I'm sure won't be ideal show quality either. So send it off to the dinner table, and cinsider culling the doe or buck that is passing on the gene. With a little work, you should be able to tell if it's the doe or the buck that is passing on the gene. PS I just used a brand new set of side cutters that were very sharp. It only took a minute once I got the nerve to actually clip the teeth. Hope my comments help you. I don't mean to be so blunt, but you don't really have pet quality animals there.

Jay

11. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

IMO I would cull any young ones ,, they should not be sold for pets :( and would definately be a dissappointment for any 4-H 'er :mad: ,, freezer time and use a favorite recepie ,, and save yourself time and $$ at the vet ,,

do not rebreed the buck & doe to each other ever again ,,, if it shows up again in any offspring you will know which one throws the teeth ,, :rolleyes:

altho ,, somewhere back in my mind ,, I seem to remember reading that 'both' parents have to have it recesive for it to appear ,, :shrug: I don't know if thats true or a false memory :rolleyes: