Malnutrition in Goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by moosemaniac, Sep 25, 2006.

1. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I'm keeping the mama Boer goat that was sent to my farm last week with a 2 pound buck kid. Mama has no milk whatsoever and I'm bottlefeeding the baby. I have dairy goats, so no problem there. Mama is severly malnurished. I'm giving her probiotics, penicillin for the birth situation, and a mix of goat feed and calf manna. She also gets all the hay she wants free choice. Her feet are bad too, and I'm dealing with that problem as well.

Has anyone ever dealt with malnutrition? She's coming along pretty well, but I want to cover all bases.

The baby is growing very quickly on bottles. We can barely keep up with him.

Ruth

2. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Hi Ruth..I am so very glad you are having such success with the new kid! Congrats!

It will probably just take time on momma. Getting the nutrition back in line can be a challenge sometimes. I think you are doing a good job. Take it slow and easy with her. I would definitely get some loose minerals in front of her and salt block..preferably with iodine. Cause if their metabolism is messed up..they won't utilize their food. If the minerals are out of whack..you could dump food in her all day long..but her body might not be able to use it.

Keep up the good job. I am so glad that the gal thought of you .. I believe you have saved these two animals..I applaud you!

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are on the right road. I would feed alfalfa pellets or beet pulp vs more grain. Calf manna is great. As much hay as she wants. Trim her feet and go from there. MAybe some vit b shots and a bo-se shot if you are in an area that needs it.

Good luck , Patty

4. moosemaniac

Sher, I have a mineral salt block in her pen. I do have loose minerals, but I didn't want to overwhelm her all at once. I suppose I could mix a bit in with her feed mix.

Ruth

5. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Hi Ruth..

If you have them loose .. sitting out for her, she will eat them as she needs them I think.

We just switched minerals here over the weekend. I have six does due in the next month.. I was SHOCKED at how they stood in line for the new loose mineral. I tried Golden Blend this time. The girls are sooo big right now..I felt so blessed at the timing. They definitely needed something!

I wouldn't put it in her feed..I would let her hit it when she wants to. Like I said..I would take her slow and easy.

Ya know..they are just like us..for me..I get a HUGE hankering for chocolate..and I know I am low in magnesium. I think animals are the same way.

Good luck Ruth...and again..great job on turning a bad situation into a happy ending!!

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, less grain, more hay/browse and/or alfalfa pellets. Loose mineral(she needs to have it in front of her and she will eat as she needs it), and fresh water. Getting a goat over malnutrition is mainly just the basics and common sense. Don't feed her too rich. Make sure she has been wormed and that her rumen keeps working. I have brought many does out of severe malnutrition and its usually a slow but steady uphill climb. It is so rewarding when they actually look like goats again!! :)

7. ozark_jewels

Remember too, that Golden Blend adds a lot of sweetener to their minerals to get the goats to eat them......my goats ate double the amount of Golden Blend as they do the mineral I am using now...and they didn't look any better on it...but it sure cost me a lot more money(shipping it in especially). So sometimes it not that they *need* something....its that they like the taste a little too much. :)

8. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I'm certainly no expert on minerals. Like I said .. I just this weekend used it for the first time.

I am sure my pastures have lost their vigor, as its late in the year and its already had a light frost on it.

The girls lined up and ate..and now are ignoring it..so I don't know. The girls were already slick, fat and full of babies...so I wouldn't expect or desire a change in the way they look.

I shouldn't have mentioned a brand name and by NO means do I want to lead someone down a wrong path.

I don't mind spending money on something for the goats that is good for them though..they don't owe me anything.

9. ozark_jewels

nO, MENTIONING A BRAND NAME IS A *GOOD* THING...OTHERWISE HOW IS ANYONE TO TELL THEIR EXPERIENCES(PRO OR CON) WITH THE SAID PRODUCT? Ooops, just noticed caps were on, sorry. :rolleyes:

And since I don't know what brand of minerals you were using before, its very possible that Golden Blend *is* better than what they were getting. I just wouldn't want someone spending more money than they need to on their goat habit if I know something that might help. :)

And my goats do owe me something as they have to pull their weight around here or they can't stay. So we are coming from two opposite points of view........if your happy with the way your goats preform on Golden Blend, by all means go for it. I just wanted you to know my experiences with it as well. :)

10. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Geez emily..how would I know if I was happy with the mineral or not? I stated repeatedly that I just put it out this weekend?

My goats don't owe me emily...they pay for themselves and half the winters hay for the 13 head of Dexter cattle that we have.

I was only trying to help Ruth..and thought I could do so. But heck..there I go thinkin' again..

11. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I think the point that was trying to be made is "some" goats will eat way more than needed of a sweeter mineral than one with less sweetner. there fore you are spending alot more money on minerals than needed.

I have had it happen here when a try a new mineral and it smells so very sweat. They make pigs out of themselves. Just like if someone put warm chocolate chip cookies in front of me .

Patty

12. ozark_jewels

I guess I offended you in some way...though I am still not sure how. :help: My second post was trying to explain my first post since you seemed to be offended by that one too.....I guess I can't win. I was trying to point out that there *may* be ways to feed a cheaper mineral and get the same results....but I guess maybe not everybody is looking to save money as I am(and no, that is not meant as sarcasm). I was *not* saying that Golden Blend was a *bad* mineral...or critisizing you for using it.....You stated that you had just tried it for the first time and since I used it for a couple years several years ago and then found something that worked better for me, I was hoping to help a bit with my experiences. One last time: I was *not* critisizing you in *any* way....just trying to help. :)

13. moosemaniac

Please don't fight or be offended by any help offered.

& FYI...there are still 13 goats and 3 llamas in that lady's barn in as bad or worse shape than the one I have. Our goat club is on a high priority to get them out asap.

Ruth

14. ozark_jewels

Wish I was closer, but PA is far away..... Is it just a situation where there is not enough money to feed them?? Was the lady trying to sell them??

15. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Emily...no offense taken here..just trying to get along. I'm not much on one up man ship..I just do what I do..heck..could be all wrong.

Ruth..There's a couple of situations like that around here too..heartbreaking for sure and seems it takes so long for the authorities to be able to step in and do something.

There's a guy not too far from this area that is up on his second round of charges for not taking care of animals. My gosh...after the terrible ordeal of the animals the first time around...ya gotta wonder why they let him have any more. So here we go again! Wish you luck in saving the animals.

16. ozark_jewels

DITTO! :)