Malnourished or a Peanut?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Rexie, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Rexie

Rexie New Member

We have two rabbits given to us at different times, that we have been caring for for about a year now. They have accidentally been in the same pen twice, and lo and behold, I came out to find a kit that had apparently been born about three days ago! Needless to say, we were super suprised, but excited. Upon examination, there is only the one in the litter. I could tell it had nursed before because of the milk residue, but I don't think it has nursed in at least 48 hours now.
    I know the does don't sit by the nest, but the Kit's stomach is not big at all and the skin is wrinkly and "tents." I had a hard time bottle feeding but I did get my doe to lay beautifully on my lap this evening to allow it to nurse. My question is, is the baby a peanut so my doe has stopped caring for it or could it be having a hard time finding the teats because of all of the hair? I posted a pic. It has no litter mates for me to compare it to and I've never had a newborn rabbit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! IMG_20170716_162915.jpg

2. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Well-Known Member Supporter

If you can get your doe to nurse it with you helping till baby gets a bit bigger and stronger,
    then it maybe able to fend for itself. You may have to help it several times a day.
    Having a willing doe is a big plus.
    I currently have a Dutch who only had 2 this time. Normal for her is like 5 or 6. Those
    babies are fat and growing fast :)

3. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

How is the little one today?