Male turning aggressive

Discussion in 'Goats' started by famer_manda, Jun 14, 2006.

1. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

My male goat is getting mean. He hasn't hurt any of my kids yet but I notice that my 3 yr old seems to have my goat angry. I haven't seen the goat do it to anyone else but my 3 yr old. If he runs up near the goat, the goat gets up on his hind legs like he going to come down with his horns and hurt someone. But then my 3 yr old runs back away. I keep telling him to stay clear of the goat. He is on a chain/cord so he has 25 foot area (50) to go around in. My son for a few days chased him with a stick. So maybe its from that.. but now i am worried about my son. Will this goat hurt him? Is there any way to get him to stop ? Should I help my son to show dominance over this goat?

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

HORMONES and SMALL children DONT MIX that goat can easily come down and head but your child and that would be all she wrote, Bucks are NOT PETS, especially if he sees the children as a nusince sence one has chased him with a stick, he feels he is defending his territory from this little two legged intruder, there is NO WAY for a 3 yearold to show dominance to a Buck with hormones going through his system,
    regardless of what breed he is he could take your son out in NO TIME, male livestock animals are not something to play with unless EXTENCIVE training has gone into it and you have a naturally well mannord indivudual but even then there is NO accounting for what a hormone rush can do to an Male Animal,

eather castrate/get rid of the buck, put him in a pen that both he cant get out of and the kids cant get in, or put the Fear of GOD in that little boy to NOT run up to the goat, this has a very good possibility of ending in tears and i would HATE to see that happen,
    PLEASE be carful

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree. My bucks are in a separate coop, and children are NOT allowed in with them. I have one mature buck who has never shown aggression toward any person. He is worth his weight in gold to me for that. But, generally speaking, a buck is not an animal to trust with children. Heck, I've had a couple I didn't even want to go into the pen with myself. Even a bottle fed (or maybe especially a bottle-fed) buck can display dominance once he comes "of age" in a VERY distasteful, and even dangerous fashion.

I can't fathom that keeping him on a tether will improve his disposition. Not that it will likely improve either way, but it is not a good alternative for fencing. Are you in the process of building fences? A buck is NOT a pet, so unless you need him for breeding, now would be a good time to just sell.

4. boermommy

boermommy Boer goats and teenagers

I had the Norman, the sweetest big lug of a buck in the world...until he was in breeding mode. Put a bruise on me with his horns as big as a good sized cantaloupe. I respected his size after that and never turned my back on him again.

The point is this...I'm a big girl and Norman hurt me.....what could your big lug do to a three year old?

Please don't let that baby around that buck anymore.

5. mary,tx

Even if your buck does not have horns, he will still be dangerous.
    mary

6. littledoe

littledoe Well-Known Member

Ditto,ditto, and ditto!

Bucks and kids don't mix. Bucks are only kept around for breeding. You'll have to build a sturdy pen with electric fencing around the inside to keep him off the fence. I love my animals, but I know I can't predict their behavior. You might do best to sell the buck if you don't need him for breeding.

agree with that, too , Mary
    Malissa

7. famer_manda

I had gotten him for breeding and he was quite gentle. Currently he is tethered during the day because he has been showing a bit more aggression towards the female goat when it comes to her grain dish. So he is put out where he grazes but I have not built a fence for him yet. THat would be coming but I am getting more concerned at a faster rate. He had been bottle fed prior to our owning him. He was very gentle for the longest time but the past week I would say, I would notice a huge difference in him. I put him back in the pen at night but he is angering me more by the day. He has ruined some of the chains. He has ripped up trees. I really do not want to keep him any longer. Next time I am going to look into using someone elses Buck as a stud. A small fee is worth it compared to the headache of a male goat! not to mention the stench!!

But I keep posting him up for sale in places and no hits on him yet. No one wants him..

Can you eat pygmy goats? Is he worth a trip to the slaughterhouse? What is goat meat like? rabbit?

8. famer_manda

He is around a year old if that matters. Maybe a little younger.

Anyone want him ??

9. famer_manda

Btw I am trying my best to keep the kids away from the goat. I am so afraid of head injuries. But I just cannot put him back in the pen during the day. He is so rough on the door and fencing. He caused the eye bolt on the door to break off.

I didn't get him for a pet.. just breeding.. I really regret it..

Ahh why can't females impregnate themselves lol

10. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Pygmies were bred as meat goats if I'm not mistaken..they are not dwarfs that were bred to be small milkers...they have a decent meat bone ratio as far as I know.

Goat tastes like beef....you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.If it's a small goat as I'm sure it is being a pygmy do the deed at home and save youself the $$ of a processor (who may not even process goat) there is a very nice guide to butchering your own goats at home, there's a learning curve to it all but not impossible to do.

11. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Yes that goat can hurt him.
    The goat can hit your child just right and kill your child ! ! !

The goat is doing this because your son is mistreating the goat and the goat is getting tired of it.

No.
    You are letting your child learn bad treatment of animals.

Your son is mistreating the goat and should me made to stay away until he is taught how to treat animals ! ! !

Yes take the stick and whip the child and teach him that what he is doing is wrong, and then keep him away until he changes his attitude.

The goat will not do this if the child stays away and leaves him alone.

bumpus

12. mary,tx

I would adamantly disagree with bumpus. A male goat, especially, in my opinion, one that was bottle fed, will very often become aggressive as he reaches puberty with or without any provocation.

I'm sure whipping the child was said tongue in cheek, but :nono: of course the child should be taught to be gentle with animals, but NOT with a buck. Just keep them away from each other.

mary

13. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Your buck could come down w/ or w/out horns and hit a humane'e head and cause sever head injury! Your child has provoked the animal at a time when the goat would have been even more aggressive any way...IMHO You have three options: get rid of the goat, build a very secure lot for him with a pad locked door/gate and make sure your child does NOT go near him or get rid of the child :nono: !!!!

14. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

You may use the word ( adamantly ) and disagree all you want to with what I said. That is your opinion.

But the warning still stands, and it does not have to be a buck either, it can be a doe.

She said that the buck she had was already tearing up the barn door and the fence and a child would be no different.

I just got rid of a doe that if the child had took a stick to her she would probably have killed the child.

No I did not say it tongue and cheek either. I meant exactly what I said.
    If one of my children would have been caught taking a stick and doing what he was doing, I would have whipped the child with the same stick and he would now better real quick.

Better to look at a child crying because it just got a whipping for the right reason.
    Than to look down at a dead child, and be calling the funeral home.

Animals are not to be mistreated just for fun ! ! !

The next time the child may not be able to out run the goat.
    Then you can tell her that you are so sorry for her loss when he is hurt or dead ! ! !

bumpus

15. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

OMG bumpus! For once I agree with you! (This is scary!) :eek:

But I have to say that you have hit the nail on the head. I would much rather somebody get their feelings hurt, then their child. :goodjob:

16. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

you can replace a Goat, you cant replace a Child, children on a farm should know to RESPECT animals for what they are and not over step any boundarys, livestock are cappable of doing harm to humans, even adults, and its usually "OUR" mistakes, not the ANIMALS that causes it,

if you only have one doe you dont need to buy a buck to keep full time, just get one when you need one then sell or butcher him,
    anytime you get a buck though you need to be sure all your fences are secure and realize that a male animal with hormones running through him needs something to keep him buisy or he WILL get bord and do something stupid, just like with teenage boys and some grown men, gotta keep them occupied or else your asking for trouble

17. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

If I was you I would sell the buck or keep your child away from him. I would never let a young kid in with my goats ever by them selves or if I wasn't there right with them. Even my most gentle does could do something on accident or by meaning to. Just too dangerous for a small child. On the fact that bucks are mean and aggressive I disagree with that.

I have a few bucks my self and not ONE of mine has ever been aggressive to me. I bottle raised my boys and they all are very gentle and good tempered. That being said I NEVER EVER took any guff from them growing up and don't now. If any of them ever showed any aggressive tendancys I would sell them as I won't breed that. I do respect my boys when they are in rut but even then they have never been aggressive. Hormonal yes...buckish yes but they must behave them selves or they get a squirt in the face. I am still carefull when they are in rut though as they are big (don't seem to know their own size). But most people around these parts and that I have talked to never have said anything about having mean aggressive bucks.

Sorry for the rant of sorts but I get frustrated when people go spouting off on how dangerous and horrible bucks are :grump: . They very well CAN be dangerous but like I said I will not breed a buck like that nor will I keep one around (nor do I ask for trouble by letting small kids with mine). There are to many that are real nice tempered and easy to handle. I love my boys to death and would miss them if I ever parted with them. But pretty much all the bucks I have ever been around in my 4-5 year of goats I have yet to meet a aggressive one of one I was afraid of.

Bucks are not for everyone thats for sure. I thought hard about if I wanted to deal with bucks or not but in the end decided it was best for what I wanted to do. *sigh*....My point is that not all bucks are horrid and aggressive. I would keep your son far away from the buck as what he did with the stick didn't help in the least with your buck's temper.

MotherClucker

18. mary,tx

No one learns kindness at the end of a stick. You would have intimidated the child into obedience, yes, but all you would have taught him is that he cannot trust you.

I agreed, however, from the start, that children should be taught kindness to animals.

"Adamant" is not a bad word.

mary

19. famer_manda

I should have been a bit more clear on this. He isn't this way only to the 3 yr old. He just tends to do it more. I suppose i have to wonder if its because the other kids dont go near him. My 8 yr old helps me with chores and I have noticed the goat do it to her IF she bends over near him. As long as she is standing up, he doesn't bother her. But if she bends over, then maybe he thinks she is playing. She thinks he is playing but i have told her never to bend over in front of him again and that I would make sure I am the one to water him.

My husband has decided that he will be butchering up the goat. For some reason the kids want to butcher it too. I thought they would be sad but no, they are asking when they can eat it!

So, Now I need to get my hands on some good butchering knives. He is plenty big enough for several meals. He isn't a dwarf. He is bigger than a Chow.

Any recommendations for butchering knives?? Where to get them ? what works best? and any book recommendations or website diagrams to show where to slice and chop up the meat.

Thanks

Yesterday my inlaws were over and they parked next to where he was tethered. He kept head butting their 2006 GMC.. i think its a jimmy .. i forget.. anyways.. he is off and the kids cannot get near him and he cannot hurt anyone. He doesn't try to hurt me. I will just feed and water him until "D" day

bumpus, my son got his end of the stick too!! he only did it the one day .. i had just wondered if that sparked something. bUt when I thought about it I remembered my 8 yr old mentioning it and since then i have really watched and I see he does it more often than i though

20. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I must say I have the nicest bucks. 3 big Nubians right now that are very well mannered. I had a Pygmy once that was also a sweetie. If he has that bad of a temperament, you wouldn't want to use him anyway. They can & do pass that aggressiveness on through their kids. I would not breed a buck with a bad attitude. I would not want that to come out in any future kids.