Malali melon

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Cyngbaeld, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I got a few seeds from Pinetree and planted them. The one plant that survived to grow is going crazy out there. It is setting tons of fruit. Eager to try some, supposed to be really good. Reason I got it is that it doesn't need much water to do well. Think I might plant several more, now the garden is completely fenced. I can put down some Amdro for the fire ants and not worry about the birds eating it. Also should hopefully keep out the scratching chickens, the stomping geese and ducks, the munching deer and goats and the wallering dog!

Anybody else planting this melon? How about any other melons or odd things you never tried before?

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Well I tried some of the yardlong asparagus beans this year. They are a wonder to behold and grow pretty well but I dont really care for them so much. I also planted gourds for the fun of it and have been pretty impressed with the array. The gourd seeds I got from a folklife festival were a mixed variety and they love the heat and are growing like crazy now when pretty much everything else has given up.

3. Cyngbaeld

I have some of the yardlong seed. Haven't planted it yet tho. What is it you don't care about?

4. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

I really like the Scarlet Runner Beans. Not only are they pretty they make a good amount of tasty beans too. I plant them where I would plant a vining ornamental. They bloom red.

5. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I just really dont care for the taste. Those Orloffs enjoy it quite a bit, though.

6. Cyngbaeld

Oh, I bet they did, Val! LOL Guess I'll wait on planting some then. Can only plant so much this year, still working on that garden. Did finish the fence tho! So there's hope! LOL

Crystal, that sounds good! Dual purpose anything always gets my attention.

7. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

8. Cyngbaeld

I can send you some seeds if you can wait till the first melons ripen. I hand pollinated them to make sure the seeds will come true. Should have more than enough to share!

9. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Thanks, I will not need them till next years garden as I am away now. maybe this fall I could send you a sase.

10. Cyngbaeld

OK, just PM me for an addy when you are ready. I may or may not remember that you want seeds unless you contact me about it.

11. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Sounds good to me, Thanks.