Making them pretty

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lijj, Jan 13, 2007.

1. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

I see a lot of goats that have nice, short, pretty hair, and I was wondering if people trim their goats' hair, because mine have longish, thick hair :) It is winter though, and they should have their winter coats on, but still, in the summer their hairs look a little shaggy, and I was wondering what people use to trim their coats.

2. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

People clip their goats for show during the warm seasons. I use an Oster A5 with detachable blades. These blades come in different sizes for the length of hair you desire. Here in Montana where nights can be chilly even in the summer, I use a 5 blade on the body, a 10 on the face and around the hooves and a 30 or 40 on the udder. I never clip the goats when it's cold except to trim around the tail and privates prior to kidding. If it's cold, I use the 5 blade and only take enough hair that the birth fluids don't adhere to the goat. I'd only clip a goat in fall, winter or early spring if I lived in a tropical climate such as Hawaii.

3. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

Show dairy goats have their hair clipped before they go in the ring. It's pretty standard procedure if you show dairy goats.
    Go ahead...but wait until the weather warms up. Many goat shows this time of year ask for "fuzzy goats".
    ~Carrie C.