Making squirrel hunters out of pound dogs?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Nov 7, 2004.

1. Been thinking about taking on a animal control officer position at a nearby town. They have had the opening for a while and seems no one wants it very bad. It doesn't pay a whole lot but I was thinking about cheaply adopting a few potential squirrel dogs to take home and train and either sell them to anyone interested or giving them away to young squirrel hunters who would like to own a good squirrel dog. If hired I figure I would easily know when a good dog might come along and hopefully get it much cheaper than by their adopting policies. Right now if I go to the pound I would have to agree to pay the vet bill that includes neutering and all shots updated. Somewhere around 60 - 75 dollars. This is one reason why I don't adopt from the pound. If I'm going to pay that kind of money then I would like some pedigree papers to go with them. But basically I didn't figure I could always get that $75 back from the sale of the dog. How much does a good squirrel dog around your area fetch for?

Also, I know that there is more to catching dogs and cats in this line of work. There's also problems with racoons, skunks, squirrels, etc. etc. Being a outdoorsman I'm no stranger to critters, their habitats and actions.

2. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Are you interested in seeing hundreds of dogs & cats & other animals killed because no one wants them?

3. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Im no lawyer and I dont know how things work in your area, but even for the local dogcatcher, your plan would be considered an egregious conflict of interest and if not illegal would certainly have the appearance of impropriety.Frankly if I knew the local dog catcher was running such a deal, I'd be mighty inclined to make official inquiries. I'd be very careful about his idea if I were you even if your intentions are completely honorable, which I am sure they are.

4. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

In my area that isn't illegal but they will fire you if they know about it (I had a friend that tried that with potential racoon dogs :haha: ). Around here squirrel dogs and rabbit dogs will bring around $100-$150 dollars, racoon dogs sell between $200 and $2000.

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I have friends who've gotten hounds out of pounds or rescues, and trained them. Some of these hounds have ended up being national champion agility and field trialers. Others are simply used for hunting or holding the sofa down ( :haha: ). My last hound was a pound hound and a field hound --- there's a lot of good dogs who end up in pounds.

Unless your heart's in it though, the time-money equation does not work out. These friends really poured some effort into these dogs, but they did it for love of the sport and the hounds. In terms of money, there's really no payoff, not for a truly well-trained pup.

And you would get into trouble if you were animal control and doing this. As Folio points out, it really breaches some ethics.

6. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Any dog with papers that sells for 60-75 dollars isn't worth the ink they used to print the papers. Just my option and yes there is the rare case of a good dog gotten cheap. The old saying that you get what you pay for hasn't lasted this long for nothing. Now if you want a dog to love by all means adopt a mix breed. You might just get lucky and get a really great dog that can be trained for all types of things.

7. I don't see where there is a problem in adopting the dog myself. I'm sparing the dogs life and trainning it to do what they were originally bred to do and then either selling them to a adult who wants a good squirrel dog or giving it away to a young kid who can't afford a good squirrel dog. Now how can that be unethical compared to taking it out back and placing a bullet in its head. That would be the toughest part of the job is knowing your going to have to euthenize X amount of dogs and cats at the end of each week.

8. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Okay.. Look. If you're experienced/smart enough, etc. to do the training you speak of... You should ALSO be able to Select a dog of proper potential from the pound. If you want to adopt from the pound ANYWAY... why the hell get the job? (It IS kind of depressing and the expenditure of $65-$70 would be a LOT easier!) I mean if you need a job great.. but I really can't see where you're mixing the two... Know whad ah Mean?

You voiced earlier that the "problem" with adopting in the usual manner was the $60-$75 you'd have to spend. There IS not Quick money in dog sales/training. Forget about it. Anytime Money is the common denominator.. the animal usually suffers.

Why don't you just go pick one out that you think is potentially trainable for the job you want; train it and see what you've got. See who buys it..and hey.. if it all works out.. great.. do it again. One at a time!

And if it doesn't work out..and you pick a dumb one; .. well, then, I guess you can "take it out back and put a bullet in it's head". :no: (THAT .. by the way.. is ILLEGAL, particularly by a city/county/humane, jurisdiction, etc.!!!)