Making soil acidic.......

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by A.T. Hagan, Apr 5, 2006.

1. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Definitely NOT wood ashes. They are strongly alkaline.

Aluminum sulfate will do it, but I don't like putting down aluminum compounds around food plants.

Coffee grounds are mildly acidic. Pine needles even more mildy so eventually going neutral when fully composted.

Elemental sulfur (wettable ag sulfur) works best, but it's slow.

Iron sulfate (also known as 'copperas') can acidify soils even faster but be careful not too apply too much or you can burn your plants.

I know some who have used sulfuric acid (new, unused battery acid) mixed into water to accomplish this still faster, but I can't recall what the acid to water ratio was and it's important.

.....Alan.

2. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

Doesn't peat moss work well too?

But first, do you know your soil's Ph and how much you want to change it?

3. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I dont know the ph......I am going to plant hydrangias........blue one likes acidic soil.....the pink & red like alkaline ( which I will add the wood ashes to !)

The blue one is away from food planting area, so the aluminum sulfate is safe......I just dont know how to look for it in the stores !!

4. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Can you buy rose soil at a yard nearby? It's very nice and on the acidic side. I used it for gardening here in alkaline Texas and have had very nice results.

hollym

5. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

You might want to test your soil before doing anything, Miz Mary. If your soil is already acidic or alkaline you could, at best, be going to unnecessary effort or, at worst, be giving your plants too much of a good thing. I believe most of Oregon (at least western) is known for having soil that is already quite acidic.

6. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Some fertilizer companies make acidifying fertilizer, too. This is probably more for maintenance than initial change, though.

7. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

To turn a hydrangia blue just put 4 rusty 16 penny nails in with the plant, it works fast and is safe.