making money is fun!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by magdabauer, Mar 31, 2005.

1. magdabauer

magdabauer Active Member

(and necessary). our place is near everett, wa. my partner is great with things mechanical (from operating/fixing diesel dozers to repairig watches) and he's an excellent cook to boot. i can sell ice in alaska and sand in the desert. we have a large spread of land, work hard (and have fun doing it) and are looking for folks who're neither afraid of hard work nor of trying sometimes crazy ideas to make an honest buck (or two, or three) and who would like to partner with us for more fun and profit. so far, i've posted "have land, lack kowledge" on this site and similar messages on other sites but sadly, have had no serious nibblers. i've sent pm's to some respondents but am still waiting for answers. maybe people think this is a joke (it isn't) - there's plenty of well-heeled folks out there anxious to part with their greenbacks for something they think they need/want. anybody in this area interested? by the way, this is not a disguised "lonely hearts" message - i'm not looking for guys who like quiet times in front of the fire, long walks in the woods (i immediately fall asleep in front of the fire because i'm (good) tired and when i walk through our woods i look for stuff that other people might like to have (and pay for). interested?

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The problem, of course, is that we all have plans of our own. And, we are as fond of our plans as you are of yours.

You might try the caretaker gazette, though. Those folks are, at least, more mobile than some.

3. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

To be perfectly honest, your post maxes out my creepy-meter.

4. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Meg,
    You are going to have to go into more detail, or is it all top secret?
    Hard work doing what? Crazy ideas? What.
    You give nothing to go on. Do you wont them to buy in with you? Do you have places for them to live? Is there other work in the area? Homesteading venture? What??? Give people a reason to answer you.
    John#4

5. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Well my opinion is:

1. Why would I want to work and pay for you land when I could be doing it for my own place.

2. Your post puts to much emphisis (sp?) on money and too little on lifestyle for my tastes. Sort of greeps me out.

3. Your "i can sell ice in alaska and sand in the desert" statement makes you sound like a used car salesman. Not exactly the type of person I would want to go into business with. Makes me wonder just what you are going to try and sell me?

Sorry, but just empressions I get from you posts.

6. CurtinMN

CurtinMN Member

anybody in this area interested? --> Meg, you should contact The Caretaker GAzette via www.caretaker.org since they have lots of folks in Washington who would be interested in contacting you. Curt

7. magdabauer

magdabauer Active Member

first, thanks to you who sent pm's and (useful) replies. let me clarify my earlier ??creepy?? message. my partner and i (we're in our 50's) live on 100 acres of undeveloped, beautiful, partly forested, partly cleared, partly blackberry-overgrown land along a river. we have farm implements (tractor, truck, chipper, brush hog, scraper, dr brush mower), lots of tools (chainsaws, generators, table saw) and outbuildings.
    some years ago (in another state), i partnered up with a farmer in a mutually profitable enterprise: i paid the mortgage, insurance, and taxes on the land and bought all the materials (fencing, gas/oil for (my) tractor, lumber for repairs, fertilizer etc.). after he built the fences (i paid him separately for that work) we together bought beef cattle (50/50). he took care of the cows and kept the fences in good repair. at the appropriate time he took the cows to the auction barn and we split the profit. we both did well - my land was put to use and he had the opportunity to make extra money without having to make a huge investment in land, buildings, etc. because we both had equal interest in the cows, we both made sure they were very well taken care of.
    in regards to selling ice in alaska: i know of folks in seattle who buy ROCKS to decorate their gardens (i once was asked to sell scotch broom (?) bushes (considered a pain in the rear on a farm) to a woman who wanted to make her backyard look "natural" - i didn't give/sell her any). some of my well-heeled friends haul pieces of moldy fallen-down trees to their yards in their suv's (again, to give their city plots a "natural" look). this led me to the conclusion that there's a market for this stuff and that fun can be had making money from stuff we don't want!!!!
    other than building a house and dog kennels and clearing some land for a vegetable/strawberry/orchard patch, we haven't done anything on the land we currently occupy. we're hoping that there are some folks in our area who have good ideas on how to make some money for themselves using the land we're paying the mortgage, insurance, taxes on anyway. no hidden agenda! i'm talking with a fellow in town who needs a place to put his (huge) portable logging-saw; he'll keep the money he makes from that operation, we can use his saw to cut boards when we need them and i get the saw dust for composting (win-win situation). that's the lines along which we are thinking. i don't work for free for other folks and i don't expect others to work for free for us!! that's all, folks!

8. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Another suggestion, do they still have the Positions/Situations column in the Mother Earth News?

hollym