Making Long Distance Phone Calls Through Your Computer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Mar 24, 2005.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

If your Internet is through Satellite Dish can you call through your Computer to another Phone?

Yahoo offers it for .02 a minute I had it before but I had Dialup Internet then.

big rockpile

2. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Used to be even couple free phone services that one could use on dialup. Could call somebody's phone across the globe. I played with at least one sometime back. Not great connection. Think those services are now pay only. Only potential problem with satellite is the lag. Probably some internet based phone service on web that gives way for you to try their service out for free. I dont know, just suspect such is the case.

Now if you, and person you want to talk to, both have internet, you can use some free software (has to be installed on both computers) that will let you talk to one another.

http://www.speakfreely.org/ This one has both windows and linux versions.

http://gphone.sourceforge.net/ This one is linux only. I've never used it, but it came with version of Puppy Linux that I am using. Thats only reason I know it even exists.

Probably some more. Frankly I make few long distance calls and prepaid with onesuite.com at 2.9cents per minute meets my needs.

3. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

VOIP doesnt work well over satellite, To much delay. VOIP works over broadbase DSL/cable and there is no per minute charge just your montly cost for any number of local or LD calls.

4. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

I use skype from home. It's amazing. You can even get an incoming number.

5. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I visit with friends by clicking on "Enable Voice" on Yahoo Instant Messenger.
    Works pretty well.

6. buttercup

buttercup Well-Known Member

we use onesuite. 2 cents a minute. It operates like a calling card which is nice for budgeting.

Buttercup

7. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Here is what I'm looking at.The wife said something about going through Satelite T.V.,I was thinking when we move our Dish we will combine T.V. and Internet.Got to do some more checking in to it.I thinking for sure it will save me at least $39 a month,maybe $89.

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

big rockpile

8. Okie-Dokie

Okie-Dokie Well-Known Member

Hewre is what we do. Get on about any Yahoo chat then you can do a private voice chat by clicking the voice button. Works great, but it easy to "Walk" on each other till you get used to it.