MAking Garlic Powder?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mike in Pa, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Anyone ever make garlic powder? How?

I figure peel it, crush it, oven dry it ... then grind it somehow ... hand grinder?

2. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

I've never made garlic powder but I have made onion powder. Just peeled and sliced the onions, dried them in the dehydrator (keep the windows open unless you love the smell of onions!! wheww!) then ground the dryed onions in the blender. The only problem I had was that the powder would cake up a bit, but it was great in soup and tomato sauce!

3. dragonflyz9C

dragonflyz9C Well-Known Member

I think I would slice it or cut it vs. crush it... Have you thought of roasting it first, drying the paste, then pulverizing in the blender? Good luck.

4. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

I figured crushing it would get it finer and easier than dicing maybe? I remember breaking a crusher on hard, dried whole cloves! I'll experiment leter in the summer/fall but it'd be nice to have some pointers.

5. LiL OHNNL

LiL OHNNL Well-Known Member

Be carefull putting it in the oven. The dehydrator may be the best bet. Every burn garlic? Its very bitter
    John

6. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

how about just drying in slices then cutting off what you need to use in recipes

7. arctichomestead

arctichomestead Well-Known Member

I would imagine a coffee grinder would do it. Or chop it or grind it coarsely then put it in a pepper grinder and grind it when you need it! I've also seen it chopped and canned in olive oil.