Making forum life better

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Melissa, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Melissa

Melissa member

I remember a while back we had a thread with ideas for making the forum experience a better one. Of course I can't find it now, but we will see if we can replicate it.

I'll start.

~ On this site and especially this board, please do not use any profanity or cuss words. Don't use abbreviations, *** to substitute for letters, or initials. It will be edited out which causes more work for the mods. NOT a good thing!

~If someone starts a thread about one topic, try to stay focused on that topic. While thread drift can be interesting if done in a conversational way, sometimes it can be mean or hurt the feelings of the original poster.

2. Beaners

Beaners Incubator Addict

A more vague suggestion is to be a good citizen of the community, a friendly neighbor.

Offer advice and your knowledge more often than you offer "criticizing" statements.

(Sometimes it's harder than it seems if you've had a bad day, but it's a fun challenge and changes the way you look at your online interactions.)

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for Melissa?

Kayleigh

3. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Okay, I'll play:

~If a thread has been deleted or closed, please do not repost a replacement thread on the same topic, especially utilizing quotes from the previously deleted or closed thread. We mods try to NOT close or delete threads, and if we do, there is a reason why. Sometimes it's just time for the topic to end, and sometimes everyone needs to step back and take a breath. Reposting a new thread on the same topic within minutes (or even hours) of a thread being closed doesn't allow this, and often just makes the squabble continue.

4. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

Be nice, use smileys, ask questions to someone before making assumptions, ummm did I mention be nice? OH, if you know a certain posters threads bring out the worst in you, just skip them, or don't comment. I'm done.

KUM BA YA!! PEOPLE, KUM BA YA!!! :p

5. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

I believe it would go a LONG way to improving people's demeanor if when a thread was closed a reason why was posted. The vanishing thread thing just makes me think I'm losing my mind.

Also, if someone is looking for support, let them state that. If they are asking a question or looking for discussion, they shouldn't be surprised when other people don't always agree with them.

If you don't like what's being said in a thread, skip it. No need to throw a temper tantrum and get all huffy so that a thread gets "poofed". I really dislike it when a thread disappears because one or 2 people on a thread decide to lose it. I tend to put a lot of thought into my posts, and have even been known to research my responses. So, it upsets me when all that work disappears as if it never happened. I feel like I wasted my time.

There are kind and respectful ways to disagree with someone, try using them, you will be surprised at how well it works.

About the tangent thing ... Some of the most interesting threads and most informative threads on this site are a result of tangents.

Nikki

6. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

For goodness sakes, don't take the written word in this or any forum too seriously! It isn't all that important what whoever-out-there thinks of you or your ideas or lifestyle.

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

"So, it upsets me when all that work disappears as if it never happened. I feel like I wasted my time." -mama2littleman

Ditto....especially when someone's horizon need to be broadened vs. the handout they expect :shrug:

And if someone spins the thread drift into a new thread....if it has merit let it go.

8. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

I believe it would go a LONG way to improving people's demeanor if when a thread was closed a reason why was posted. The vanishing thread thing just makes me think I'm losing my mind.

I second that.

9. Jeff54321

Jeff54321 Well-Known Member

And a third.

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

my thoughts exactly.

11. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Alot of times it seems like people read more into posts than is actually there. Just go with what the opening poster said, instead of what it seemed like they said. Or ask for clarification.

I also have to agree with Ardie - nothing written on a screen by people you will probably never meet in real life is worth getting your knickers in a knot over.

12. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

If something someone says offends you, take a minute to stop and think, could this person have had a rough day, could they be tired and out of sorts, could they have been upset and mispoken, could there be more to the story. Sometimes I even take a minute to go look at other posts by that person to see if they are going through a rough patch or if they have a warped sense of humor. Understanding helps.

13. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

Jen's right. I am guilty of this often... that is, reading something in to the orignal posters post. We each see the world through the lens of our worldview and experience, but that doesn't mean we have to attribute all sorts of things to the poster that they didn't say, mean, or -sometimes - even allude to.

R

14. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Don't assume something you read was written with the negative tone you read it with.

15. suzfromWi

suzfromWi Well-Known Member Supporter

If someone has misunderstood your meaning, pm them. It goes along way to making a friendship.

16. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

If there are a lot of threads with a negative tone, or things are moving slowly, make a point to start a positive, friendly thread. "Just for fun" threads aren't pointless if they lighten someone's load or brighten their day.

17. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

I suggest much more accurate thread titles. Something that ACCURATELY reflects the question or comment. So many times I look into a thread and it has little to do with the title or the title is misleading.

Also, PLEASE don't just post a link to a national news item and leave it at that. I can go to Google and look up news any time I want to. Especially bad news. It's horrid to "share" such stuff here on the forum.

How about posting the link with your OPINION or something else? I sometimes think folks here post news items for "shock" value and little else. It's irritating. This is not the national news forum.

18. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

I am sometimes guilty of this. Will improve. :help:

I wish people read the threads all the way through before putting in their two cents. Sometimes, they miss something crucial in a discussion, or just wind up repeating something that's been said twenty times already. Some threads are really long and involved, so I know this is hand, but I do my best to do this.