Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how the heck does one make chicken stock that actually tastes good without using boullion?

I have stock every time we roast a chicken, and I add loads of seasonings and stuff to it, but I can never get it even close to a flavor I can be satisfied with. but you throw in a few boullion cubes..waalaa! delicious. and all I can see is a bunch of chemicals on that label.

can someone help?

·
Registered
905 Posts
1 whole chicken (3 lbs)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
1 medium onion, cut into chunks
3 sprigs fresh parsley
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 teaspoon whole peppercorns
2-1/2 quarts cold water
1 celery rib with leaves, cut into chunks

Directions on how to make this stock.
Cut chicken into parts, reserving back and neck. In a soup kettle, cook chicken breast halves in oil over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes; remove and set aside. Cook remaining chicken pieces, including back and neck, in two batches until browned; set aside. In the same pan, saute the carrots and onion until onion is tender.

Place seasonings on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag.

Return chicken to the pan. Add cold water, celery and spice bag. slowly bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Skim foam. Remove chicken breast halves from pan.
Remove meat from the bones; return bones to pan.
Refrigerate chicken breast meat for another use.

Simmer stock, uncovered, 3-4 hours longer. Strain; discard chicken, bones, vegetables and spice bag.
Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
Remove the fat from surface.

·
Always Thinking
3,296 Posts
Are you cooking it down long enough? I cook my stock down until it is one-third to half the volume it started at.

Also plenty of meat in proportion to the amount of water. The recipe Joe posted is a good example....a whole 3 lb chicken to only 2 1/2 qts water.

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
I start mine in the daytime and cook it all night on a really low flame. The only thing I add to the chicken carcass is a carrot and a rib of celery. The next day, after it's cooked down, I strain it, then season with salt and whatever else I like (pepper, parsley, poultry seasoning, paprika, thyme etc) depending on what I'm making.
I do sometimes make chicken-garlic broth, too, with garlic cloves added to the chicken carcass.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
The left over bones form one cooked chicken isn't going to make a great deal of stock...try putting the bones in the freezer until you get more then cook up some stock. I buy split breast when I shop, fillet them when I'm cooking, then collect the skin and bones in a big plastic container in the freezer. When it's full I make stock with it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
When I roast a chicken, I save the skin and bones from it. My husband will eat the skin, but I don't, so I just leave it in the pan. The next day, I will pick off any meat that's on the carcass. The bones and skin AND FAT go into the stockpot. Be sure to put in the wingtips, backbone, and neckbone of the chicken. If you have the chicken feet, clean them well, and throw them in too. Put in about a teaspoon of white vinegar, this will dissolve some calcium from the bones. I have a slowcooker that's very good for making stock, I can just put in the makings and let it simmer all day. I pour the stock into a large pot with a colander in it, and so I will catch all the bones and skin. Then I reduce the stock to about half.

If you cut up your chicken before you cook it, then save those wingtips, necks, and backbones in the freezer. On a raw, blustery, winter or fall day, you can make stock. Personally I don't season the stock until I use it. I might have something that's already pretty well seasoned, and I want the stock to add a little chicken flavor, and not overwhelm the dish with salt or whatever.

By the way, turkey stock is wonderful, too.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
the more you reduce the broth the more intense the flavor.flavoring it later makes more sense there. Reduce it down to fit into ice cubes and use them like bullion cubes not just stock/broth. I normally don't get that far as I make soup w/ the broth really fast.

add enough water to just cover the chicken parts that way there will not be too much water to have to reduce.

Does anyone mix meats? Do you keep the broths pure? I would like to make some rabbit broth. Is it as verisital (sp? too early in the AM) as chicken? Would turkey be more economical?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I think stock from a roasted chicken tastes blah. you have already cooked half the flavor out of it! I use a whole raw chicken or lb equivalant of thighs with 1 tb salt (add more later to taste) tsp of celery seed, less than a tsp. onion powder (or a whole onion) 1/4-1/2 tsp garlic powder (or 1 crushed clove) and 1/2-1 tsp allspice. cover with water and simmer at least 6 hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts