Making butter

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by willow_girl, May 21, 2004.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

We have found that an electric ice cream maker makes a very handy butter churn.

-- Just thought I'd pass that along in case it's helpful to anyone. :)

2. jim/se kansas

jim/se kansas Well-Known Member

I use a blender on low speed and it works great.
    Blessings, jim

3. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I have children.

-Sarah

4. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Sarah ... :haha:

Thanks for the chuckle! :)

5. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I couldn't resist! I am actually commissioning a butter churn from a friend of mine who is a potter. He has a gorgeous albany glaze that I love. I'm hoping for a two-gallon churn with lid and I'll make a dasher here... I'm the non-electric type in my kitchen...some things require electricity, but I don't even *own* a mixer. :) My arms can push and pull a dasher just fine. As can my children's. ;)

Sarah

6. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I was at a antique store in Barnesville ohio in nov. last yr. and roger the owner told me it was not unusal for a churn that is real old and still in good condiction to sell for up to $700.00 or more. if in the area the store is a great place to shop/browse.

7. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Yup! I had looked at butter churns on eBay and was shocked at the price ... even motorized ones from the 1940s-50s, that weren't real pretty, were going for a pretty penny!

Hence my post ... thought it might save another newbie a few bucks. :)

Sarah, your churn sounds lovely! And what a great family heirloom it will make! :)

I bought my ice cream freezer at Goodwill for $2.50. Works great!

We recently scored an old McCormick-Deering hand-cranked cream separator at an estate auction for $12.50. It needs to be restored ... but that's the kind of project my husband lives for! :haha: I suspect it would be more work to clean the separator than to let the milk sit overnight, then skim off the cream with a ladle (which is what I do now) ... but it will look kewl mounted out in the yard, anyway!

There also was a hand-crank/electric separator in similar condition ... ran the bid up on that one to $20 before I dropped out and decided to buy the other one instead.

8. Mullers Lane Farm

Mullers Lane Farm Well-Known Member

We were able to purchase a working DeLaval floor model cream separator from an Amish family last summer for $35. We didn't even dicker on the price - gave them $40 and told them to keep the change.

Having only one milk cow (curently), it is much easier for us to skim the cream, but we couldn't pass up a deal like that!!