Making an Air Compressor?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Terrabus, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Terrabus

Terrabus Middle-Aged Delinquent

About a month ago I decided working at a garage would get me closer to my goals of buying land to homestead. My partner and I need an air compressor for impact wrenches, etc. We have very little money. Somebody told me it's not that hard to build an air compressor to do the needed tasks. Does anybody know if this is possible on a small budget or if it's just plain better to shell out the cash for a manufactured compressor? I'm not picky about motors or tanks, just as long as it works and I can stop taking off lugnuts with the 4-way.

Ted

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

you can pretty easy blow up an poorly regulated air tank.
    I'm on a poverty shoestring too, but the best sacrifice I have made lately was to go spend 250 for a low end brand name 18 gal 5 hp 135#max compressor.... it runs all my tools without trouble.
    I had a patched up dual tanker CH, that gimme nothing but greif for the 150 I paid for it.... I shoulda put the 250 and the 150 together and got a kick grits big un.

just buy the best you can afford..... tinker rigging one is just a risky futile pain in the [explitive deleted]

3. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

actually you can make a really good air compressor on the cheap!

the most expensive part will be the 110v Electric motor, but find somone with a shot deep well water pump 3/4hp motor, can be had cheap.

make a skid out of steel, or wood, you can use MANY things as the compressor, a old AC compressor is real good, you can even turn a lawn mower engine into a compressor.

you simply have a ball check valve between the compressor and tank, preferably mounted onto the compressor, and whenever the compressor builds up pressure that exceeds the tank pressure, the check ball will open and push more air into the tank, and closes when the compressed air in the tank has more pressure than the pump.

now what makes a compressor work good is a nice BIG tank, my uncle used a old propane tank(about 4ft tall and 2ft dia) and it works fairly good. He turns it on/off by the breaker.

MOST IMPORTANT THING, ALWAYS HAVE A PRESSURE RELIEF DEVICE!!

like a ball valve that releases pressure if it goes above 130psi.

Use good High pressure hose, mount the tank so it does not fall over.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Easy to do, you will need an older Chrysler ac compressor, an electric motor, a propane tank, bigger is better, a well pump pressure switch and the connections.

5. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Yes, please, please, please include a pressure releif valve. Very cheap insurance with homebuilt system.

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

a lot of trouble to make one i got one at a pawn shop for 90 dollors 135psi works great

7. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I assembled an air compressor from an old freezer compressor unit and an old water well pressure tank and switch.

For your intended use which needs LOTS of air, I really think that you would be better off making the tax deductible business expentiture and buying a good high capacity unit. If you were just needing a compressor around home I'd say build it, but you need lots of higher pressure air. Bite the bullet and buy one, and I don't think you will be sorry. Just my opinion.

8. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

I made a post about the homemade compressor. Search for it if you need to.

You have to use a chrysler YORK compressor as it has a separate oil reservoir which is a necessity in a ac compressor set up. I have forty dollars total in mine and have it mounted under hood of the pickup. It will run impacts etc etc

Safety pressure switch. PERIOD