Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a pattern to make one of those cloth muzzles for a large dog. 100 pounds.
He won't let us trim his nails and the vet used a muzzle when he trimmed him. But now I don't really want to keep paying to have his nails done.
We cann't take him often enough any way and his nails push the foot upward and he ends up licking his feet alot. It has to be uncomfortable.
I was thinking if I could do it my self he would be happier.

I know some one is going to tell me the dog thinks he is the boss, but I already know that.
Any one have any ideas?

·
Crazy Dog Lady
3,436 Posts
When I worked at an animal shelter, we used to snap a leash on the collar at the top of the dog's head, then bring the leash up and over the dog's head, down to his muzzle, then around his muzzle a few times. If you do it right, and you have someone to hold, it makes a great make-shift muzzle. Its also cost-effective...no new equipment necessary!

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I;ll try that, I have a cloth leash around here.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I use a long sock or pantyhose (the sock works better). Actually any long strip of cloth will work. You simply tie once around the muzzle with the knot under the muzzle, then tie to the collar on both sides or around the neck. I keep a pair of pantyhose in my emergency kit just for this purpose.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
We used the pantyhose at the vet I worked for. It works great. Also, the fabric muzzles can be ordered from any of the pet/vet supply companies. However, some dogs can still bite through them if they are not tight enough.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Besides the muzzle try tying him to a solid object with a leash or rope, not the one being used for a muzzle. I've had the best results making sure the lead is short enough that they can't reach their feet , just for the length of time necessary to trim nails. This way you are less likely to get bit as some dogs occasionally will get the muzzle stretched or off at the worst moment. Try to make the nail trimming as brief as possible so as not to get into a wrestling match with the dog which can be an ordeal in itself. Stretchable soft gauze works as a muzzle too if you have any around. Loop it a few times around the muzzle, cross over underneath the throat then around behind the head and tie in a nice bow.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Whatever you use, have someone help you when you trim. The helper should give the dog big chewy treats (peanut butter on bread works well) while you clip the nails. This will distract him.

·
Registered
298 Posts
As cheap as the muzzles are...you might consider just buying one.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=676&ref=3928&subref=AA&s_kwcid=dog%20muzzle|2600640441

1 - 9 of 9 Posts