Making a lucky rabbits foot?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Mama C, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Mama C

Mama C Well-Known Member

OK,
    This is not a domestic rabbit question, but I figured its the best place for the question.
    I just shot a beautiful wild white rabbit while out hunting deer with DH.
    his Aunt spotted it and I shot it so we want to have matching rabbits foots. :happy:
    What do we need to do to these things??? :stars:

2. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

What I seem to remember being told ,, cut it off above the knee joint for drying ,, carefully wash off any excess blood trying not to get too wet ,, dry the wet fur w a hairdryer ,, I guess with just 2 you could use a quart jar ,, put dry feet in jar ,, fill / pack with salt adjusting the feet to be sure they are completely surounded with salt ,, cover jar top with a few layers of cheesecloth and use a jar ring to secure ,, set up somewhere warm to get completely dried out ,,,

(if you burn wood ,, maybe the mantle . or near the stove)

I've looked and never 'found' the cap w chain part in jewlery craft sections in several stores ,, BUT I do know you can buy a bag of brass bells in a bag of 35 for $1.69 at walmart ,, if you carefully 'open' up a bell you can use this for the cap ,, and the chain part ,, 'might' be found in the craft dept too ,, or I know there is chain in the lighting section where you buy the little decorative balls n such for ceiling fans ,,

I 'think' it takes 3 - 4+ weeks to be sure its completely salt cured dryed out ,, then you would trim down to the length you need and attach the bell n chain on the top ,,

I have never done this :) ,, and I am giving these instructions from a memory :shrug:

if anyone else knows of a better way ,, jump right in and inform me :rolleyes:

3. Mama C

Mama C Well-Known Member

Thanks Tucker!! :rock:

4. bojay

bojay Active Member

You also have to take them to a church yard on the night of a full moon. That's what gives them the luck.

5. hunter92

hunter92 Active Member

O K

Whatever.........
    hunter92 :nerd:

6. Mama C

Mama C Well-Known Member

ooooookkkkkaayyyyy,
    I think you may be thinking of Dracu-bunny. LOL

7. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Well what good is a "lucky" rabbits foot if it is not lucky? Take it to the church.

8. bojay

bojay Active Member

Just remember, the foot wasn't lucky to the rabbit.

9. bojay

bojay Active Member

10. Mama C

Mama C Well-Known Member

LOL,
    Now if I dont get to church at midnight I am going to be scared of the thing!!LOL

11. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I was always told that the 'real' lucky rabbit's foot was the left hind foot off a rabbit shot at the stroke of midnight during the new moon.

If nothing else, that's a lucky shot, anyway!

Thanks for the directions for the feet. I think I'll try that on some of my angora feet.

Meg