making a gate..questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by suzyhomemaker09, May 2, 2005.

1. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Ok... I finally got around to getting the DH to put some t posts in the back yard so I can make a "holding pen" for the goats at milking time. Planned on letting them have their alfalfa pellets there as we strongly suspect that we lost a young llama due to a bit too much alfalfa...he had symptoms of foundering.
    My question is this...I plan on putting up welded wire on teh posts and all I have for a gate is a section of wooden picket type fencing...could I make this work for a gate somehow and if so what would be the best way to mount it? I need to get to working on my garden and cannot have the goats browsing through it so i really need to get it done fast. I was going to use a piece of combo panel but DH says it's not wide enough for a gate. Any ideas?

Suzyhomemaker

2. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

If the fence bit is just # shaped put a diagonal piece onit to stabilize it.

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

How wide is not 'wide enough' and how high is the picket deal, and what materials do you have to work with. Just tying the picket to the T post on one side with baler twine in 2-3 places, and tying the other side closed with one piece, or are you going more elegent than that?

Not sure what you are starting with, so not sure what you are looking for here.

Pretty easy to make a frame with 2x4 treated & staple your fencing to that, put a diagonal timber or wire to keep it square, and some hinges and a latch makes a good gate if you have wood posts on each side, but if all T posts, then you need cheap & flimsy so it doesn't pull the posts over.

More info?

--->Paul

4. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I have put hinges on the picket then used heavy wire twisted tight to hold it on the tee post.

mikell

5. suzyhomemaker09

Thanks for all the quick responces....
    I am completely working with t posts and welded wire for the main part of the fence. I thought of building a frame with wood and stapling fencing to that but am afraid that with goats that they'd push against it and staples are rather easy to pop out, perhaps something more like fencing nails might hold it sturdy enough. The panel bit I had was only maybe 21/2 feet wide..while my being a bit on the more lithe side would not be a problem..but hubby is not as svelte as I am . The bit of picket fencing I have is like a section of premade privacy fencing...maybe 3 1/2 or 4 ft high.
    Elegance while appreciated is not a major concern..we are more utilitarian when it comes to things like this.

Suzyhomemaker

6. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Suzy, I think spring is the time when a lot of us are in your spot. I also plan to make a wood frame gate with welded wire & staples. My thoughts were to 1. put the stapled side inside so they wont pop so fast when pushed against. 2. Nail another board on top of the staples to hold them in.

The only suggestion I have, is that bailing twine is only temporary. The rubbing will eventually break the twine. Wire is stronger.

7. suzyhomemaker09

Ah ha!!!
    I figured it out..since my fence panel was too short I made a frame with 2x4's and 1x4's..used a 1x3 as a crossbrace. I then used fencing staples to fasten the wire to the frame. Then I went to the farm store and looked at all the fencing toys....I found a brace/bracket of some sort used on chain length fence..straight on one side and curved on the other, carriage bolts and washers. Drilled through the 2x4 in 3 spots and bolted through the ends. It works well or at least it does for now.
    Thanks for all the feedback!!!

Suzyhomemaker

8. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Just for future reference, in case someone pulls this thread up in a search someday, it's not a good idea to use picket fence for goats, for either the fence or the gate. They like to stand up on the fence, especially the gate, and if one slips could easily get it's head caught and hang itself on the pickets. With goats, you have to look for every possible place they can get stuck, caught, or hung, and assume that someday one of them will find that place. You fix it first!

Kathleen