Making a dado without a router?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mtnmanlou, Nov 15, 2005.

1. mtnmanlou

mtnmanlou Member

Thanks for the great mailbox plans. Now I wanted to know if there was any way of making a 1/8" dado, 3/16" deep in a board 6" wide, without using a router (which I do not own.) Can I make it with handtools? Any ideas?

Help!

Lou

2. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

This isn't the easiest or fastest way but if you don't have the tools you make do. Use a hand saw to cut the edges of your dado, cut 3/16 deep. clean out between the two kerf cuts with a chisel.

3. BigBoy

BigBoy No attitude here...

Do you have a circular saw? If so, set the depth and then run down either side of the dado and then clean out the center with it.

4. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

a 1/8 inch dado can be made with one or two passes with a table saw or a handheld circular saw, and a straightedge

5. mtnmanlou

mtnmanlou Member

Thanks. I didn't even think of that. Yes, I do have a circular saw and adjusting the height of the cut is perfect. Great idea.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Lou

6. jeffreyc256

jeffreyc256 Well-Known Member

To piggy back on big boy, clamp a straight edge for your skilsaw table to run against and you will get a straighter and cleaner edge. You can also move the straight edge the width of the blade for clean out cuts or do that free hand. The same thing can be done with a router if you have one.

7. babygoats!

babygoats! Well-Known Member

Or you could go to the hardware store and get a dado blade for your circular saw. Easy.