Homesteading Forum banner

Making a Cabled yarn

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Marchwind 
#1 ·
I learned this from Patsy Z at a silk workshop I took from her. I was thrilled with what beautiful yarn this produced. The whole weekend, through all the other workshops I took from other instructors, I made cabled yarns. Here is the basic technique.

First you make two plied yarns, then you ply these together. The formula is this: Spin Z" or "S", ply a two ply the opposite of the single (this is a given with any two ply. Then you ply these 2-plies together the opposite you plied the 2-plies.; For example if you spin a "Z" you will ply "S, then you will ply two "S" plied 2-plies "Z". It really sounds more complicated then it is :dance: What you end up with is a beautiful round yarn that is very strong and wears really well.

I started thinking about Cabled yarns yesterday when I was thinking of the Shetland 2-plies I have made and the socks I started knitting. Im not happy with the pattern of the socks, it isnt looking right :grump: So I thought I would just knit my favorite old stand-by pattern which calls for a fairly bulky yarn. Then I remembered Cabled yarns. I need to spin and cable these two plies I have. I'm inspired and eager to get started.

#2 ·
So to make sure I have it straight: 1. spin in one direction on singles, 2. ply 2 singles the opposite direction (as usual), 3. make up 2 skeins 4. then ply those 2 skeins together but now in the opposite of #2. Do I have that right? Is there a goal to have in mind for how much twist is put in at each of these steps?

#3 ·
I would say you want to end up with a balanced yarn. Generally when you ply your yarn you can stop and check for balance by allowing a length of yarn to go slack. This is done between the orifice and where you are holding the plied yarn. Either before it is fed onto the bobbin or you can pull a length out and check that, just let it hang slack and if it just hangs there and doesn't kink or twist you have a balanced yarn. Just check it at each stage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.