Make your own labels

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Oregonsparkie, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

Im not sure which forum to place this so it is placed in a couple different forums, sorry if this is inappropiate.

Has anyone ever used their printer to make product labels for honey, jelly, etc???
    I spoke with KINKO's yesterday and they will print labels (on a inkjet/laserjet printer) substantially cheaper than ordering them from a printer but I am concerned about whether the ink will run or bleed.

ALso does anyone know of a way to laminate or treat these labels so they wont run/bleed?

2. justgojumpit

justgojumpit Well-Known Member

go to an arts and crafts store. I know you can get a spray-on lamination that people often use for water-color paintings or other mediums that they worry about bleeding. I never thought of using it for labels though, but I think I will! It's funny how when people brainstorm you can come up with things you would never have alone!

justgojumpit

3. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

I spoke with a mail boxes etc and they do recommend spraying with a laminante like you suggested. They can print the labels on their color lazer printer if I can bring in a sample of the page. Not a lot cheaper than kinko's but it will save me a 30 mile trip.

4. MichelleB

MichelleB Well-Known Member

I was at both Jo-Ann Fabrics and Michaels looking for dessicant, and both places had these little machines that will put adhesive on paper...just the right size for labels. The machine's around $35, I think. I'd still do a no-run spray adhesive on the surface.

Avery-type labels are really expensive, so the ability to use your favorite paper stock and put adhesive on the back might work for some of you.