Make your lists here/things to take with you to the woods.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Valduare, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Valduare

Valduare Well-Known Member

Heyey everyone. here is where to make your inventory lists for what you whould take with you if you planed on living in the woods: requirements.... no power available. dont worry about goverment restrictions or the like as well.

2. DragonLady

DragonLady Member

Living under what conditions? In a cabin? In a mobile home? In a two door car? Backpacking?

3. Valduare

what ever you can build once you are out there. nothing prebuilt. so if you favor a gimmie or a cabbin or a tent or a cave whatever you can make when you are out there.

4. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

A copy of "My Side Of The Mountain".

5. Valduare

ya know i had totaly forgotten about that book that was a good one i should reread it.... though its a low reading lvl book hehe maby that means i'll get through it quicker :p and onto another book wohooo
    another good set of books i read was about a family that moved up to alaska during the depression. built a cabin on a staked forrest service claim. and worked on tender boats..... there family now own's warm springs bay town up in south east alaska ... for the world i cant remmember the name of the books though heh

6. DragonLady

DragonLady Member

Well then....assuming you're backpacking, but intend to settle permanently somewhere:

First, you'll need to find a steady supply of water. You cannot live without it, and if you get sick you may not be able to haul it or have it brought to you. So I suggest planting your walking stick next to an artesian well, creek or small pond. When I was a kid you could buy water purification tablets, but I don't know if you still can. I wouldn't drink any water that wasn't boiled.

Next, you'll have to be able to build fires. You'll need a flint & steel -matches are too unreliable. Practise with it for awhile before you start walking or you just might spend your first night or two hungry and shivering. You'll also need an axe or a hatchet for felling and chopping firewood, and a small shovel for digging a firebreak and smothering any live coals before you leave a site. If you cause a forest fire, you're trip will be over! A small grate of some kind -an old oven rack or some such- will make cooking on a campfire a lot easier. I wouldn't bother with a camp stove -they're always out of fuel, have to be perfectly level, and need constant cleaning.

I'd take a small (watertight) package of easy-to-grow vegetable seeds. I'd probably start small with the Three Sisters (corn, squash or melons, and beans). You can dig and turn one plot 6' diameter, and grow enough of all three for one person. The corn will grow up, the beans will climb the corn, and the squash vines will shade/cool the ground, smother out weeds and replenish nitrogen to the soil. You will only need to haul a bucket or two of water for each plot, and if you plant every two weeks you will have food starting mid-summer to frost. Start a compost heap, and put in all of your vegetable leftovers, weeds, coffee grounds, eggshells.... In the late fall, shovel the compost onto your old plot, and come spring it will be ready to plant again. Of course, it's better if you rotate & only plant in the same spot once every other year or so, but if space is a premium or you want to keep it simple, the compost will feed the soil well enough. You'll need a bucket for the water and a pair of work gloves. Each additional person will need another plot; or with more hands you can diversify as you'll be able to haul more water.

Man can live on veggies alone. Unless he lives in the woods. You will soon learn you must have more protein than you can get from even a large vegetable patch. You'll have to be able to trap, fish, or hunt for fresh meat. Fishing requires the least work if you're near a pond or a river. At the bare minimum, you'll need fishing line, hooks and a good knife (never buy a knife made in China). Any additional equipment will make the job much quicker and simpler, so you're really only limited by what you can carry. Be sure to bring a whetstone for your knife.

You'll need to be able to cook, and to store your foodstuffs. A large skillet and two pans -one quart size and one 6 or 8 quart size- will get you started. The large one will double for washing dishes, and if need be can take the place of the bucket for hauling water. You might also want a coffee pot or a teakettle, even if it's just for heating water. You'll probably want two plastic (metal makes your food cold fast) plates, cups, knives, forks and spoons. Washing after every meal can get tricky when you're all alone in the woods, and you never know when someone will suddenly find you -just in time for dinner (ask me sometime about my Thanksgiving feast for fifty).

Fish, beans and corn can all be dried for storage, but you'll have to protect them from all sorts of critters -bears, squirrels, mice, weevils, ants.... A few good rubbermaid containers would be best, but hard to carry. You'll probably have to start with big plastic garbage bags, and store them high in a tree at night. You'll need a good length of rope for that. Don't store it inside your tent, as bears will rip right through the walls to get the food. You'll also need salt, and if you can manage it a bit of oil or lard would be very welcome. If you're able to carry it, a few pounds of powdered "complete" pancake mix is wonderful to have. Pancakes make a great substitute for bread, and you can use it to bread the fish for frying. Powdered eggs are good, too. They're expensive, and even a few drops of water will ruin them so only bring 'em if you can keep 'em bone dry.

Next, you'll need a basic first-aid kit, and at least two good maps (from seperate companies) of the area you're in, and a good compass with a base plate. If you're too independant to carry a cell phone, a hand mirrror makes a fine signalling device (you might want to learn basic morse code or similiar). A whistle will help you signal if you need help, and will scare away most critters the first time they hear it (also good for warning hunters before they take a pot shot in your direction). You'll want some kind of toilet paper -even if it's just newspaper. It gets heavy and bulky to carry, but when you need it there's just no substitute. A good quality flashlight & spare batteries is a better idea than trying to carry a burning branch around, and again can be used as a signal. Bug repellant isn't essential, but is sure nice to have -some big flocks of skeeters will try to carry you away, and drying fish draws flies from miles around. Two smaller canteens are probably better than one large -one might get lost or ruined, and you won't be able to leave camp for long without one. You might want to consider a notepad or two & some pens or pencils, not only for leaving messages but also just for recording your adventures.

Now, I'll break with tradition a bit. Most people buy their tents and blankets and such from the military surplus. And they buy it in nice camo colors so they escape. I think it's a bad idea. If you're injured, you'll need to be easy to find, AND you don't want any overzealous hunter mistaking you for a deer. So I'd suggest safety orange. I'd buy an orange 3-man dome tent with a floor, and at least one orange blanket. A closed-cell sleeping pad, a nylon sleeping bag, and a 5x7 tarp will keep you warm and dry under all but the worst conditions.

Remember "cotton kills" so I'd make sure to have at least two changes of clothes that are 100% wool or a synthetic like gore-tex. You'll also want at least two pairs of woolen hiking socks (for year round use), and a knitted woolen cap in the fall/winter/spring -you lose a lot of precious body heat through your head. Always dress as if it's one season colder. You'll need a raincoat (although you could use another of your large plastic garbage bags in an emergency). Don't forget a hat with a brim for the summer, and a swim suit of some kind -don't want to be caught with your pants down by some wandering gaggle of boyscouts. A good pair of hip waders would protect you from sharp rocks, broken glass and such while walking in water, but might be impractical for backpacking. There's no substitute for hiking boots -buy the very best you can afford, and wear them everyday for a week before you start your trip. Remember you'll be wearing thick, heavy socks so buy a half-size larger.

That's about all I can think of right now...it's 3:30 in the morning, and I really should sleep. Honestly, what else you need depends on what you plan to do. Are you going to return to civilization in a week? Build a cabin? Just keep hiking back and forth across the continent? Knowing where you're going will usually suggest what you need.

7. Valduare

finaly a poster :) ty for you time. i had much enjoyment reading it ... it struck me into a severe day dreaming state :p
    everyone else post what you whould bring. i'd like to hear different versions from everyone.

8. Valduare

if i could pack it i'd like to bring with me...
    block n tackle
    rope
    axe
    shovel
    bow saw
    rip saw
    2 inch auger
    fishin gear
    bow
    huntin/skinnin knife
    sharpening stone
    magnesium sticks n flint
    bucket
    2 plates
    2 hobo(fold up cutlery)
    2 cups
    cast iron 16 dutch oven
    cast iron 16 inch skillet
    string
    canvas walltent with my woodstove that goes in it :p (luxury item?)

9. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

http://www.isu.edu/outdoor/survkit.htm

The Do-it-yourself Coffee Can Survival Kit
    This is a compact kit that can be carried in the car, on the boat, or in a pack for hunting, hiking, exploring, etc. Most of the contents will fit in a one-pound coffee can which doubles as a pot for melting snow and device with which to dig an emergency snow shelter. (However, if you can carry it, include a small shovel. It is far, far better than trying to use a coffee can.) You should be aware that if this kit is carried while on hiking or hunting trips, you still need to carry the other Ten Essentials not included below.
    Keep three points in mind when putting together a survival kit. First, make it small enough that you'll actually carry it and not leave it home. Second, use the list as a guide and customize it to your needs. For instance, if you are allergic to insect bites, bring the appropriate medicine, or carry appropriate wrap if you have knee problems.

Thirdly, bring enough to enable you to spend at least one night out. It is usually the first 6 hours that determine whether you'll be able to survive an emergency. If you can make it through the first night, then your chances are good that you can make it a few more nights if necessary.

Thanks to Allan Priddy who helps teach the Wilderness Survival class for putting this list together.

General Items
    Braided nylon rope (25 feet)
    Mirror
    Matches (2 boxes)
    Fire Starter
    Poncho (bright orange to attract attention)
    Toilet paper
    Candle (wrapped in aluminum foil)
    Paper and pencil
    Fishing line, hooks, split shot leads
    Knife
    Whistle
    Money (2 nickels, 2 dimes, 2 quarters, $20 bill: helpful for making phone call or paying for gas if broken down along highway)
    Garbage Bags (2 large size bags)
    Bright orange surveyor's tape

Repair Kit
    Sewing kit
    Dental floss (It's strong and useful as thread for sewing, or a fishing line or for lashing branches for improvised shelters.)
    Safety pins
    Wire (bailing wire)

First Aid Kit (Also see Lightweight First Aid Kit)
    Moleskin
    Sterile pads (2 x 2 and 4 x 4)
    Sterile Gauze
    Neosporin
    Bandaids
    Aspirin
    First Aid Tape

Nourishment
    Honey Packages (available in small foil packages available at convenience stores)
    Instant Soup or tea (a couple packages)

Optional
    Folding saw
    Compass (learn how to use)
    Hard Candy

Carrying container
    Coffee Can (1 lb size) or nylon stuff bag

All contents except the plastic bags and the optional items will fit in a 1 lb coffee can. (Or you can flat "Spam" cans or oval-shaped containers available at outdoor stores.) The plastic bags can be affixed to the outside of the can with a rubber band. To keep things from rattling in the can, wad up some wax paper and stuff it around the items. The wax paper stays dry and also doubles as a fire starter. To save weight the contents can be placed in a stuff bag and a metal cup can be used instead of the coffee can.

10. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Be sure to bring enough money to pay your fine when they throw your hinney in jail for trespassing, and littering.

11. Valduare

no problems with fines or jail this is if you didnt have to worry about goverment or the like.

12. Valduare

13. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I live in the woods.

Mosquitoes can drive me so absolutely CRAZY I wouldn't be able to think staight enough to do a thing with any of the other suggested supplies........so the first thing I would need to pack is mosquito spray.

14. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

A book on edible plants. :D

15. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Interesting read. Here is a list of what I would like with me.

*A pair of draft horses and/or mules...to help drag large trees/logs after they are cut. Especially usefull while building the cabin and having to set the timbers. As well as cheap transportation
    *Flint and steel
    *Fishing poles and hooks/tackle
    *a good axe and hatchet...along w/ at least one extra handle for each. Not to mention a sharpening stone.
    * Plenty of rope in different strengths
    * a rain tarp or tent to provide shelter while building
    * plenty of jerky and dry goods (including coffee ) for cooking
    * Gun or bow with ammo/arrows for hunting
    * A good set of cast iron cook ware
    * would probably make a dug out canoe to also help with transportation
    * assorted buckets for collecting everything from rain water to berries, etc.
    * I'd worry about furnishings such as lamps after getting the cabin built, Furniture can be made from spare log/wood.
    *a first aid kit
    * a heavy and a light jacket...same with a few sets of clothing
    *soap for cleaning up with/washing clothes
    There are many things that have already been mentioned in prior posts that I would try to bring as well. I second the idea of building as close to a water source as possible. Seeds/seedlings would have to wait untill the major priority of living quarters was met. I doubt if I would have time to keep a garden while trying to build shelter. Besides that, You woud most likely end up having to make a trip into town again at sometime for supplies so I would keep some things for that trip.

16. Valduare

17. Evan Fryman

Evan Fryman Well-Known Member

The first thing i started with is Research/Internet/Books/Etc..
    and i'm still Researching !
    I have over 200 link's that i've put together that i share
    But i have Thousands more and
    i own over 600 books, This all started Over 5 years ago !

I've bought a fiew small items !

Traps,Snares,Cray fish traps,Fishing gear,2 hand guns 22's and Ammo
    Trioxan Fule bars for fire starters for 2-4 years.
    50 lighters-butane,Mountain Man Fire Box, Flint and steel
    Making a bow drill fire starter
    Troopers Fur hat,Snow shoes,Extra Boots and sox
    Knives and honeing stones
    Stailess steal Cooking utensiles and pans, Pots
    A new Honda xr250r 2003 dirt bike
    a ford f150 1978
    4 small solar pannles 12 volt max from VW's
    Cordless drill that i will modify to recharge w/ solar and bits
    Small hand operated hikers water filter-Pump kind
    EverLife Flash lights / Haven't got yet !
    12 bars of Soap Zest
    Vacumm sealer w/hose exetra
    40 emergancy candles,2 oil lanterns w/ extra wicks
    Rubber boots
    2 small green cavus Back packs
    Stailess steal eating plates
    Stuff to make Casts- leg arm
    Brake down Pack fishing poles 3 and reals
    Insoles for boots and shoes
    Propane stove,Lantern,Hotwater tank
    Cargo net,Tarps
    Cutting board- food prep,one verry small hard and 2 larger flex thin
    Ammo cans 2 small and 2 larger ones...
    Two new wool blankets
    Rope/Difrent kinds and lingths
    Two fire pit OVENS and one Colleman stove Oven
    4 propane tanks, 5 gallon each

I have more, i just cant think of it all at the moment !!!!!
    Still looking for a lot's and lot's of stuff !
    And yes i do plan on Caching a lot of this stuff !
    I have also been researching " PLACES " to BE AT!!
    Knowladge is a key factor !!!!!
    Forestry maps,Roadless areas !!!! Hint hint !
    Know your Surounding Resources,Routs,Private Land bounderies,Roads,
    Landfills/Dumps,Local population,Government?,Animals,Plants,Water
    and water ways,Case or scope out the entire area for Information ???
    Local area History may dig up Mines/caves/tunles or sources of coal
    or flint or clay or Obsidian or little known Water/Ponds....

Ok i think you might get the idea !
    ......... Evan ..........

18. Valduare

bump to keep thread active :) its very entertaining subject to me

19. DragonLady

DragonLady Member

The trouble is, you can research it for years without ever leaving your armchair. In all truth, the best way to learn what you need or want is to go do it -start with one day, then a day and a night, then a weekend.

You'll quickly learn what you can do without, and what you never want to run out of. And that list is different for everybody.

I knew a man who lived out of a backpack & only ate what he could kill or find wherever he was (even in the middle of a city). Whether it was mulberries in the city park or handouts from the soup kitchen, he did no cooking, carried no food, and depended entirely on chance. He was a wizard about what was and wasn't edible -he could take a few weeds and make a meal fit for a King.

I knew another who had to have his daily newspaper, television and mailbox, and probably never went camping at all. He talked about it all the time, but he was chained to his modern way of life, and couldn't break away long enough to even try something else.

It's a personal decision, and one that requires a lot of refinement of the sort that only comes with experience.

That said, I see I missed a lot of things this morning...I got too tired, and couldn't think any more. I'll try to add some more later.

20. lonewolf

lonewolf Well-Known Member

In the state of Liberty and Freedom I create.
    If I were going into the timber on purpose and to stay there for a time, I would probably carry with me at least some of these items, ideally:

A .30-30 Winchester or .45-70 Government lever action (their cartridges will work with both blackpowder and smokeless powder), a bolt-action .30-06 Springfield rifle, .357 Magnum revolver, a 12 gauge double barrel shotgun, a 12 gauge pump shotgun with shot and rifled slug barrels, a Savage Arms Model 10ML muzzleloader rifle (it is designed to fire both blackpowder and smokeless powder loads), a percussionlock pistol, and a flintlock rifle and pistol. Along with those items, not to be used all at the same time, I would bring in sufficient loaded ammuntion, 5,000 rounds per firearm, with the shotguns having 10,000 rounds divided among small game, turkey, buckshot and slug rounds for both shotguns, sufficient primers, powder and bullets to reload each case several times. I would also bring bullet molds for each gun to cast bullets, slugs and round ball/ minnie ball ammo.

Additionally, I would have a bow and 200 arrows with field, small game and big game points and replacement parts for all. Also snare wire, some assorted traps and lure scents.

Foodwise, I would bring salt, pepper, hot sauce, beans, rice, spices to make jerked meat, flour, sugar, tea, coffee, vegetable seeds, assorted dried fruits and veggies along with a guide book to help me identify wild edibles beyond those I already know about.

For shelter, a decent tarp, four season tent, rope, sleeping bag and tools to fashion a rough shelter (adz, ax, maul, brace and bits, woodsaw and drawknife).

My view is not to keep on running and running as I know for certain that I would run into someone that might not be friendly in an unfamiliar area. I would focus on staying out of sight as best I could, finding a cave (we have many in the area that are known and probably some that aren't) to hold up in for most of the rain and snow and ice weather. Or create a low-key shelter that would blend in as much as possible with the surrounding area. I would attempt to stay put as best I could and scavenge, gather and hunt as needed.

Really, what I would chose all depends on the situation. I'm going on the idea that I'm just trying to set up out of the way of a population center to live and going for the long haul on what I can bring in and having to depend on what equipment I brought in with me.