Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vendor
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been very interested in how to make your own fuel but most options out there aren't all that feasible. Seeing this guy make gas and diesel on an island is pretty intriguing. There is waste plastic everywhere. For every one pound of plastic, you get about one pound of fuel.

·
Premium Member
24,403 Posts
DH has looked into this over the years. I think it may become a retirement project for him.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Fascinating, but I see very serious potential problems.

First, and foremost, toxic fumes/toxic waste. We all know that burning plastics degerates some nasty toxic fumes. Also, what happens to the sludge at the bottom of the pot once a run is finished? I'd expect that to be hazardous too. Does it all get dumped on the back side of the island? Maybe that's OK if you're on an island all by yourself. What though if you have neighbors?

Second, is quality control. He mentions making both gasoline, and diesel out of plastics. How do you know what exactly you are making? Plastics are basically long hydrocarbon polymers, and I can see how heating them breaks them down into shorter polymers. Gasoline is a hydrocarbon polymer ~C7-C8 in length. Diesel is about C10-C15. Vegetable oil is C16-C18. How does he know what's coming off the distillery collumn is closer to gasoline, or closer to diesel. Do you stick a finger in and swirl it around?

I can see an engine being quickly destroyed by feeding it the wrong grade of fuel. There are lots of totally uncontrolled variables here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts