make 25 times more for your corn crop

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Shrek, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

Grow your multi acre crop of corn in a maze layout instead of straight rows. Sell tickets and let em take on your Mase Maze. Then harvest.

2. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Attended a workshop on this... the theory sounds easy. The reality is an absurd amount of work... and you need GPS!

No actually, if you're into people this can be fun, sort of. People do all sorts of things (like drop trash) you might not want, but they do pay money. However, here in VT the harvest season and the tourism season don't run parallel, so the corn grown for the mazes is chopped and left in the field as compost.

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Historical place over by Nashville had one of these done at a cost of $17K. They hoped to net out $50K to support programs there. Ivan blew it flat.

Shame so many states have legalized hard liquor. Use to be GOOD money in moonshine.

Ken Scharabok

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

ACTUALLY :D
    a better idea, is to grow your corn , and then bundle the stalks by hand, and sell them for 5.00 a bundle at a farmers market ....
    a couple of years ago i made 300.00 in one day , and i even took orders for more !
    and this was just inside fargo north dakota .... you know, cornstalks anywhere you look !

just a thought ....

5. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Wonder about whether we'd have to have some kind of special event rider on the insurance (ka-ching ...)

Ann

6. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Have had a corn maze in our local town for the past 3 years. Never had time to try it out, but just picked up a flyer today.

Hours of operation: Thursday 6:00 P.M. - 9:00 P.M.
    Friday 6:00 P.M. - 11:00 P.M.
    Saturday 1:00 P.M. - 11:00 P.M.
    Sunday 1:00 P.M. - 5:00 P.M.

Prices: 12 & up $6.00
    6 - 11 $4.00
    Seniors $4.00

I would assume you would have to have some lights in the evening, but could just higher high school kids to run the place (provided you could trust them.)

7. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Several places around here do corn mazes. One started it, and it's still the biggest, and gets the newspaper coverage...you know, what the design is this time. There's usually a theme, often connected with the military. It's also usually in conjunction with other stuff, like pumpkin buying for the kids, hay rides, etc. A regular month long fall festival.

I've never been. I've seen corn. I've been lost. I don't need to put them together.

Meg :)

8. dla

dla Well-Known Member

My daughter and her friends went to one of these things and spent HOURS!
    They also had "pumpkin catapults" where the young people (ages 18-26) tried to send a pumpkin farther than anyone with a huge catapult.

9. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

Or sow the seeds in patterns resembling ancient Egyptian script, then call the National Enquirer.