Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for the Book of Knowledge set of encyclopedias (1963 or earlier) Can't find it ANYWHERE..... three states, KS, TX, OR.... :(

Had actually given up and was just using an old set that was gifted to us from my aunt...

Today I convinced my mom to stop at the local Salvation Army thrift store.... (no other reason than she hasn't ever been in this particular one)

I headed straight to the books as we have some really well to do families in the area and they donate all their homeschooling books... so I can sometimes find a good deal......

There on the shelf of encyclopedia sets was the exact set I have been looking for for 5 years!!!!!!!!! A 1961 set of Grolier Book of Knowledge... in remarkably good condition!! (according to their prices, $3.99 for a hardback book) There were 20 books.... I went and asked, and the woman said "Yep, $3.99 per book - thats the rules!"

After several minutes of looking through them, I asked to speak to the manager, and I showed her the set.... told her we were homeschoolers and we would love to buy the set but would only pay $10 for a set that old.... She totally agreed with me and threw in 2 extra books for free!!

YIPPEE!! I am so thrilled! (DH won't be.... not because the price, but the space issue!!) Now I can pass my other set of encyclopedias on... :)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Man, that is a score! :banana02:

If you don't mind me asking, why do you like the older ones better? DH got a 1952 set of encyclopedias from a yard sale a while back -- they'd been sitting on a shelf at an elderly ladies home, looks to be in great condition -- but honestly, I thought about getting rid of them b/c they were so old and we don't have a lot of storage right now. I didn't think the kids could use them too much. Maybe I'll hang on to them now... :)

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This set is a particular set "Groliers Book of Knowledge" -- They were printed differently than any other set of encyclopedias (not by letter) and grolier ceased publishing it in 1963 ---

The set is recommended by the Robinson's Curriculum and I use it in addition to other stuff.

So much information and its written for kids... not the dry BORING encyclopedia stuff found in newer sets. My LD child will be able to read these and UNDERSTAND what he is reading.... I am very excited!! :)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Wow, I learned something new today... I had no idea! :) You did luck out!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts