Major frost this morning

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Apr 24, 2005.

1. Wow! We haven't had a frost since the middle of January, when it's suppose to be snowing. We haven't had an accumulation of more than a inch of snow at one time in about two years. It has really been springlike around here since the middle of January and now we wake up to cold frost all over everything. I haven't set my tomato plants out yet but am wondering about my apple trees. They are at the end of their bloom cycle. Most of the pedals have already fallen off and you can see where there is a tinny little apple will begin developing. So I'm just wondering if the frost will do any damage to these? Have I just lost my apple crop for the year?

2. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We woke up to about an inch of heavy wet snow this morning and it's still coming down. All the daffodils are laying on the ground. Lots of trees had budded, so it will probably set them back a little.

Our seedlings are outside in a coldframe to which we added an extra layer of straw yesterday.

It's not too cold, just so damp that it goes right through your bones.
    The kitchen wood stove is lit.

3. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

We didn't have any frost here in central OK. Which part of the state are you in R.H.?

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

It got downright cold here last night. Brought in everything from the little greenhouse yesterday morning. That'll teach me to get too optimistic in Northern Illinois!

I don't know if any damage was done to the budding trees, but my cherry doesn't have a pollinator so that won't make a difference. <sigh>

Pony!

5. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

We have snow here in N. Indiana. According to the weatherman it is supposed to be cold yet today and then get up into the 50s during the week. I hope my baby plants out in the garden survive... the lettuce and spinach were just trying to sprout, the radishes had a good start and I'd found one onion poking it's little green fingers out before the nasty stuff came. This is my first garden and I hate to see all my babies nipped in the bud when they're trying so hard to grow.

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Hoosierdeb, all the crops you mention are cold hardy.

7. JefSkeet

JefSkeet New Member

Deb I just moved back up to N. Indiana from Florida, could not believe my eyes this mourning. Just bought a nice rototillar, tilled up a nice garden spot and was ready to due some planting. Guess I will just have to wait a little longer. I think if you spread straw over your already established plants this might shelter them enough and keep them warm. I think maybe I should spread some straw over myself

8. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'all
    It hit the apple blossoms a bit here in SW Central Indiana.
    Redbud & crabapples were blooming too.
    It'll set things back a bit all around.

What a surprise hunnh.

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It was cold here last nite, but don't think it frosted. Course I slept in this morning and didn't get up till almost 7. It was 8 before I could start the coffee and the birds were all about to start a revolution by the time all were fed. LOL. I have 70ish that go out in the day and back in at nite and that takes a while to accomplish.

Deb, all of your plants should be ok. I've had lettuce and spinach volunteers come up way before the last frost and do just great. Radish should be ok too.

RH, hope you don't lose your apple crop. I should think you'd not lose all of it at any rate. In a few days the ones that are frosted too badly will shrivel and start falling off. But hopefully the ones that are left will be really big and tasty.

10. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

We had a light frost, but no damage I can tell yet.
    Even the uncovered pumpkins and squash look ok, (I've had more sunburn damage so far this spring than cold damage) I had gone out and covered a few of each thing as insurance, hubby prayed/claimed no damage last night, I haven't found any yet.
    As for the tiny apples, they have a better chance than flowers and buds, a light frost of 31.5º or 32º shouldn't do much harm, look for frost damage on the tips/edges of the leaves. That will be your clue as to how bad the frost was.

11. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I am quite a bit south of you, but I grow all that stuff all winter long, it is allready getting too hot for it here

12. bgak47, I live in the n.e. corner of the state. Delaware county. I also live down in a valley that has a cold spring fed creek running through it which makes it even colder then up on top of the hill. In fact the average last frost date is suppose to be something like April 15th for around here. But since I live down in this cold valley it is more like May 1st for me.