maintaining water bottles

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by ridethatpony, Jun 17, 2006.

1. ridethatpony

ridethatpony Well-Known Member

The nozzels on my water bottles never seem to work good or for very long.
    Several of them are nearly brand new, and they leak all the time. A FULL bottle of water won't last through the day, refill won't last through the night. Some of the nozzles are ball bearing type, the others are a small lever (not sure how to describe, but sort of like a "joy stick"???) How do the rest of you "maintain" your nozzles?

Thank You

2. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Are the rubber washers still in the nozzles? I know when I've lost one of those in the sink because the bottles drip so much. Other than checking to see if one of the balls is stuck (happens more on newer bottles) or the seal (part where the bottle contacts the washer) is smooth there isn't too much more to check. Wait, there are a few more things, direct sunlight on the bottle makes them leak, the nozzle needs to be screwed down tight enough, and check the nozzle for obstructions. I clean the nozzles and washer every time I refill bottles. Use a tiny nipple brush to clean the inside of the nozzle and a bottle brush for the bottle. Hope you get it figured out. If the washers are missing use hose washers (rubber ones, the plastic ones don't work) for replacement parts.

3. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

my bottles have to be straight up and down no sagging to the back. I have to fill my bottles to the very top of the bottle or it will leak also.

4. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

I had trouble with the bottles when I used the plastic bottles - I now use glass bottles and they do not drip as bad. Just a thought.

5. scribbage

scribbage Member

I don't typically have probs with my plastic water bottles. They even hold up well thru the winter. My husband once made me a nice plastic bottle - for easy refill (lol) - he cut the top off (the bottom of the bottle) - but didn't understand why it just ran right out of the nozzle -------no vaccum ---lol!. it was funny - you probably had to be there.

6. twohunnyz

twohunnyz Pacific Northwest

It helps to create a vacuum of sorts. After filling and tightening down the lid/nozzle, slightly squeeze the bottle, then turn upright and let go. You should hear a sort of gurgling sound and see bubbles rising. This helps ours, but they do still leak a little.

7. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

There are aluminum(?) watering 'ends' that work soooo much better than the tubes with the balls in them. Hard to describe....hum...kinda like a tiny cat waterer where the water comes out into a little pool for the rabbit to lick. They don't break or get clogged up and they work on 2 liter bottles or most glass bottles. And the rabbit can't chew them up. I think I got mine from KW cages or from Morton Jones. ....and they will work for a chicken too since they can get their beak into it! :)

8. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

A re you thinking about the water "nipples" ?

9. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

No,...I looked in my old KW cage catalog and found them. They are made by Lixit and are called "soda bottle water Fount". Way back when I bought them they were $2.19 each and that included the wire spring to hold the bottle to the cage. I also found them in my old Morton Jones catalog but made of plastic for .83c but my catalog is a 2002 edition. The neat thing about these is that there are no moving parts or tube to get broken or clogged. They work just like a cat waterer that you put the water in and the suction keeps the little tray from overfilling.