Mainers!!! How is your tomato crop?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mpillow, Aug 24, 2005.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Ours is not so great....I usually can in excess of 100 Q but not going to get even half of that this year. Corn is just now coming.....wet wet cold Spring planted LATE :soap:

2. foxies

foxies Well-Known Member

Our cherry tomatos are good, but the big boys are so slow getting nice and red.

3. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Same here, cherry toms are good, but not finished, and the big boys are SLOW. My friend i.5 hours south, near Portland, has no ripe toms as of last week, but his melons are doing super. Guess it's a slow tomato year.

4. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Good but not great. The plants in the hoop house are doing the best. I'm selling as many greens are ripe right now.

5. cathryn

cathryn Well-Known Member

Mine here in southern CT are slowly ripening, but the medium and big ones are only ripening on the bottom. The tops are still hard and green. Anyone know why? The bottoms are ripe and good, although slow coming. The woodchucks don't mind the hard green tops, but I do. Lots of funky shapes too...

Peace
    cathryn

6. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I can't see the tomatoes in the garden because they're at the back, behind corn and sunflowers. When I went to pick green tomatoes for a customer today I was surprised to find that I have very few now. Most of them are at least blushed now. The long spell of dry warm weather did them a lot of good. I'll have to start making sauce in a couple of days. If you haven't checked them in the last few days it's probably worth the walk to the garden.