Maine

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mjollner, Sep 23, 2004.

1. mjollner

mjollner Member

Does anyone here live in Maine? My brother is probably moving there due to
    his job. Since he doesn't have the internet, he asked me to help him do some
    looking around online. I was wondering if anyone had any info on cost of living,
    land prices, development, etc.. Any info would help greatly coming from those
    that live there. Thanks.

2. poorme

poorme Well-Known Member

i used to live there. taxes are very high, esp. property taxes. development in southern maine is out of control. it's a nice place to live though. i'd look into property WAY up north, around presque isle.

3. sdrew

sdrew Well-Known Member

I live in Southern Maine, and cost of living is very high. Real estate taxes are high. Lots of jobs available. Rentals are high. Houses are high priced. It's ridicules. But it's a wonderful place to live ! Portland has all the benefits of a big city, with a very low crime rate.
    If you're looking for cheaper, quieter living, northern Maine is wonderful. Houses are cheap, as are taxes. But jobs are harder to come by.
    The Bangor area is sort of a mix of the two. Moderate house prices,.....
    Maine is a great place to live.

4. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

I think it depends where he is moving too. Southern Maine, below bangor can be very expensive to live. High taxes, high RE prices etc. Come north of Bangor and land is reasonable, taxes cheap and so on. Its just finding a decent job up here that can be tricky.

5. jbmaine

jbmaine Tinkerer

Ahhhhhhh Maine "The way life should be" Well not anymore....
    Land is very Expensive and jobs and not commensurate with the cost of living... all that said... i wouldnt live anywhere else....

6. mjollner

mjollner Member

Thanks. I dont know where he may go, but it is in the northern part of the state. We went online and found several good deals on land and homes, at least compared to where we live now. One of the places was in ?Arostook? county. We read some online articles on development in Maine, but it didn't seem as bad as other parts of the country.

7. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

i live in prentiss maine, i just bought this farm. it has 84 acers a 2 bedroom house built in 98' and 60 apple trees on it, a good spring a well, and spetic, alot of road frontage, it is great, and i paid 52,000.00 for it. my taxes are 243.00 a year, and even though i live out in the country, i still have free garbage pick-up that is free, this is an unorganized TWP, lot's of good people and peace, good luck to you .. look up CWA realty on the net.. we have 13 lakes here.