Maine travel

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ohiosteve, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Ohiosteve

Ohiosteve Well-Known Member

The family and I are planning a vacation this summer. Wife wants to go to Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. This trip will be in early June. How will the black fly problem be at this time? Should we wait till the end of summer?
    Thanks

2. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Atrocious.
    Absolutely freakin' atrocious.
    Atrocious enough to reschedule, especially if you'll be camping or spending any time near the water..

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Late Sept or October are glorious.....

Mosquitos will also get you early morning and at dusk

Deer flies in July -early Sept

Please do come and donate a pint or two of blood....

No-seeums too.

Just blackflies.....on a good day....

4. Gypsy

Gypsy Well-Known Member

Fin29, why don't you tell him how you really feel? :haha:

I agree with what has been written above. I hate to tell anyone not to come in the spring because it really is a beautiful time in Maine – there is something about the long Maine winter that makes spring an especially vital and exciting time. But as far as bugs go, springtime in Maine is definitely not for the faint of heart. In fact in certain spots it's downright brutal. For my money, if I were coming to Maine on vacation, I would shoot for Autumn.

That said however, I'm not entirely sure that the situation improves that vastly over the course of the summer. Seems to me that those thing were chewing on me until autumn last year and in fact I can remember hearing a story on the MPR (Maine NPR) that the black fly season was lengthening in Maine as our water is becoming less polluted. Furthermore, what mpillow says is also true – if not the black flies then the mosquitoes, if not the mosquitoes then something else – unless you come to Maine in February, somebody is going to get your blood!

Lastly, the number of black flies you will see, I think also will depend on where you go. Most of us living here I imagine are Central to Northern Maine (cheaper land) but most of the tourist spots are along the Southern coast ("Downeast", in Mainer terms). I think that we get it far worse up here than they do down south. Here is a map I found at mainenature.org: http://www.mainenature.org/blackfly.html

also see the Some questions and answers about Black Flies in Maine page at: http://www.mainenature.org/blackfly/blackflyinfo.html

Anyway, I hope that you will come to Maine and that this thread proves to be helpful to you. Good luck with your vacation plans! Who is going to care for your critters while your gone?

5. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

In addition to the blood supply mentioned above I would also caution that if you have any children weighing less than 100 lbs they should be secured to a heavy object with stout cord.

You should also check with your auto insurance company to see if you're covered in the event of a car/black fly collision. Should you choose to take advantage of the flight service offered by our black flies, please be aware that baggage is limited to one carry-on per person.

On the upside of things, in the northern part of the state they may be eaten. A 12 gauge shotgun with 00 buckshot is recommended. One fly can feed a family of four for a week.

Have a nice trip :D

6. Ohiosteve

Ohiosteve Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the input. This just confirms my suspicions. We were planning to visit the northern part of the state. Maybe we can postpone the trip until fall.
    Right now the critter population is at a minimum, two dogs and two cats. Since we moved into the oold homestead we have cut out that component of our lifestyle in order to concentrate on the 163 yr. old house and 100+ yr old barn.
    Got some quality neighbors that can care for the pets.

7. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

If you took the trip you are planning, you would travel through my town. Flies are here but so is DEET. We survive up here with sprays, lotions and creams to keep flies off.
    The problem is that flies are everywhere. So, leave your chiggers and ticks at home and come on up. The ride you want to take is beautiful. I love northern Maine and Maritime Canada. You will too.