Mailbox fulll of Credit Card Applications

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Farmer Brown, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Well-Known Member

I never had, needed, or wanted a credit card ---but sure get plenty of chances in the mail. Sometimes several a day. I started mailing back everythingin their post paid envelope except the sheet with my name on it just to cut down on trash. Plus it gives the mail service a boost as they complain email is hurting them. If 10 percent of those getting them did that and they sent out a batch of 10 million and got a million back---that would cost $370,000, plus give a lot of people jobs to open them. Yeh-----it's been too hot outside --------------FB

2. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

I do the same thing. Because we have 2 businesses and a good credit score we would get anywhere between 4 and 10 pre-approved offers A DAY! It drove me nuts...what a waste. So I open the envelope, remove all the contents, write "please remove from mailing list" on the application, place those contents into the postage-paid envelope then fold the envelope it all came in into the postage-paid envelope and send it back. I especially like those big manilla envelopes they send stuff in...I'm sure by the time I fold those babies up and send 'em back they get charged for the letter being bulky. Since I've started doing this 6 months ago, we only get 4 offers a week which I can live with.
    --f.g.

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Stick a big rock in them and send em back. :haha:

It's an excellent idea! Some day my garden will finally be rock free!!!

4. LizMovingNorth

LizMovingNorth Member

They are getting your name from the credit reporting agencies. They sell your name (and millions of others) for big bucks to the credit card companies. You can get them to stop selling your name by writing to them. It won't work for the company/business credit cards but it will for the personal ones. I think everyone at the address has to request it separately. Here's an article:
    http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/3/1/13940/79585
    Liz

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

grind em up,they make good mulch

6. .Marie.

.Marie. Registered Human

Not only do I mail their ads back to them, I also include other junk mail I've received that DIDN'T come with a postage-paid envelope! It has taken a long time, but finally some of those companies are getting the message.

7. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

As I have no family or anybody the debt would effect (except the people who have lots of credit cards), if I ever get a terminal diagnosis, I am responding to each and every one of them and having one whopping spending spree before I go.

8. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I can think of no better way to cure your illness!

9. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Sunday paper coupons work so do the pizza coupons but for fun let them expire first!!! LOL Even like your cable bill or phone bill you get all those 'offers' send them some of your 'offers.' we do that as well. They say dont staple your check to the bill staple it to the 'offers' hehehe plain evilness LOL

10. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: That WOULD be my luck!

11. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Just about the only thing that we produce in the U.S. is debt. Perhaps they will give us a free wheelbarrow to carry our cards in. :haha:

12. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

I get offers in all versions and combinations of my name. I have a first name(A), a second name(B), a maiden name(C), a former married name(D)and a present married name(E). So I get offers for ...

AC
    AD
    AE
    ABC
    ABD
    ABE
    ACD
    ACE
    BC
    BD
    BE
    BCD
    BCE

Then there are combinations that use just an initial for one of the names and then there is the combination where the initial for my last name has become my first or middle name. One of the more popular is my last name with my maiden name as a last name. Get offers for that one all the time.

Then of course there are offers for my ex husband, who has never even lived in this county and offers for his recent ex wife too. (His ex wife actually tried to open one of those accounts using my name that had been sent to her. :grump: )

That doesn't count the misspellings either. There are a number of ways to mispell our last name.

Halo

13. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

At our business we get 20 magazines a month for old employee. He ordered 2 TV Guides and I don't even watch television. Some of these subscriptions expire in 2008 and I know this man what was he doing subscribing to parenting magazine when his youngest kid is 30 years old? What am I going to do with 20 magazines a month?

14. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I don't mind the credit card applications, they just go in the burn pile. What I don't like is getting political mailings asking for money, from candidates that I can't stand. If there's a postage paid envelope, it goes right back. Every bit of it. Sometimes I include other bits of mail, like someone previously mentioned. I have heard of people taping the envelope to a brick and mailing it.

15. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I wrote the 3 major credit reporting agencies and told them to opt me out of promotional offerings. Not only did that stop the junk mail, but it stopped all those PRM soft pulls of my credit reports. If you're not opted out, just about any company or marketing firm can take a look at your credit without your permission.

"It won't work for the company/business credit cards but it will for the personal ones. "

If you have a business, you likely have a D&B rating, or at least should if you want anyone to extend credit terms to you. They're a credit reporting agency just like the ones for consumers. Contact D&B and opt out of your information being used for marketing purposes.

There are several other consumer information reporting agencies that sell your information. Choicepoint, A-plus and MIB. If you have any kind of insurance or have made any insurance claims, they have a file on you. You should check yours to make sure it's accurate. It could be costing you in insurance premiums.

Your bank, utility companies and many other companies that you give your business to will sell your information if you don't opt out. Same with the Direct Marketing Association.

Needless to say I don't get much mail anymore. I don't even get bank statements, utitilty bills or much of any else that important in the mail nowadays. It's all done electronically over the internet. Between mail theft and identity theft, I worry much less now.