Mahindra Tractors

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by oz in SC, Aug 23, 2004.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Was looking throught he local equipment trader and there was an ad for a 35HP 2WD tractor,trailer,bush hog,auger and some other equipment for about $14,000($500down,$190/month).

This is a Massey Ferguson(I believe) design built in India and would seem to fit our (future) needs quite well.

It would be a new tractor of an older design so 'should' be relatively reliable but is of course quite a bit more money than we wanted to spend...although it is spread out over 5 years.

What would be available for this sort of money WITH the ability to pay over time?

The other option is a much older tractor for around $5,000 and then buy equipment as we can.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I thought Mahindras were IH, but I'm not sure. Tafe is an Indian built Massey line for the most part. I have seen the Tafe Massey clones and they are well made. Check out the Case IH JX series too. They are a reworked Hesston design that was very succesful. They are built in Turkey. Here in Canada a basic JX65 would be under 25k and should be under 20 USD. Not sure if the smaller JX55 would be any cheaper. Finacing is easy with any of the big brand names. Long imports The little Farm Trac Ford clones (some of them have Perkins engines) Here's the 45hp FT45 They make a 35 hp one too. Mikes tractor is an American dealer that should be able to tell you prices. They were very reasonable last I heard. Not really trying to put you off a Mahindra, I've heard encouraging things about them.

3. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it,I think Mahindra IS a IH copy...its all confusing with these differing names for old American tractors.

I am pretty much open to any tractor as from what I saw of the area where we are moving to it is JD.

Thanks for the link.

4. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you buying from a mahindra dealer or is he selling a trade in? If he is a stocking dealer and has been so for a while then it might be ok. Mahindra is active in the USA, http://www.mahindrausa.com/ There are 5 dealers within 100miles on Columbia SC. A quick search on http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com turned up 1 mahindra within a columbia sc and it was in GA. A search in the US showed 23 ads for Mahindra almost all new tractors. They seem to be selling them based on good financing.

Good deal? Your going to have to decide. I would take a mahindra over the chineese tractors, but I think I would prefer a good used domestic tractor over a mahindra.

5. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

forgot to mention. Check out tryactor by net or there mahindra users group.
    http/www.tractorbynet.com/forums/index.php

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

It is IH. We bought a new Mahindra last winter and my husband loves it. 65 HP, 4-wheel-drive with a front end loader, bush hog, plow and box blade for about $17,000. It's the first tractor he's ever owned and he hasn't torn it up yet so I reckon it's well built!

7. miss_dee

miss_dee Well-Known Member

Ravenslost, we are looking to buy a new tractor and are considering a Mahindra. Several of our friends have tried to discourage it. Are you still happy with your Mahindra tractor? Have you had any maintenance problems? Would you do it again?

8. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

For that kind of money you can get a REAL Massey Ferguson thats not all that old.

Equipment can be found cheap most anywhere
    http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com/

This site will give you a good idea of price ranges.
    I bought a 1973 MF 175 with a chisel plow, tandem disk, boom pole, sickle bar mower, and a fertilizer spreader for $5000
    The tractor is a 63 HP Perkins Diesel

9. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I have A line on A M/F 65 Diesel. It needs rebuilt I can get it with the Implaments All for $3000.00 It beats A Nortrac or import for $6000.00 In my eye, I just need to be able to justify to MYself I need it. I only have an acre right now, But I Am looking at A few differnt 10 acre tracts around here.

10. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

I would rather have a used tractor for a fraction of the cost, ESPECIALLY if I were making payments.

What are you going to do with the tractor?

If it is small farming, why not look at a Farmall? Great tractors, easy to repair, have good resale value, and way less than $2000, depending on what you are buying.

Clove

11. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Do a search on ebay under completed listings for Mahindra. They have pretty low resale value, it appears.

I agree about the used MF tractors...great value for the money on ebay.

I am not for or against any brand of tractor, but my point is to suggest you keep your money in your pocket, or to pay against your homestead. Think of all the stuff you could do with the savings of over $10,000????

With that kind of savings, I would start a business, or invest it in property or a mutual fund.

While I am at it, I would rather have a $3500 used tractor and replace all the belts, hoses, battery, etc. These are the parts that often fail and create a break down when you need the tractor the most.

I would also prefer a used tractor for the depreciation value factor. Much better to lose $2000 on an older $5000 tractor than to lose $10,000 or more on a new one in a few years.

Clove

12. Rickstir

Rickstir Well-Known Member

Missouri (Hard by the Elk Fork of the Salt River)
    Mahindras are fine tractors. New there are very attractive no interest programs, with a used tractor you will pay 8 or 10 % interest. Heavy duty with high lift capacities. You would be surprised to find out where your "domestic" tractors are built. The one overriding factor is parts availability and dealers, Mahindra has both.