Magnets for health

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tallpines, Jan 7, 2005.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

A few years ago I was hearing a lot about how magnets were good for relieving assorted physical maladies.

Any one have any success stories?

2. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

well, good and bad- they were good for picking up nails but they threw your compass of when you went outside.from a pure health point of view, I suppose they picked up pins on the floor so you didn't step on them and hurt yourself.Beyond that I don't know.

3. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

I researched this quite extensively. I am a MMP (Medical Massage Practitioner) as well as a Massage Therapy Instructor......... and a few other less 'professional' titles.. ANYWAY....

I found in my research that the small magnets are not enough to do anything, but all studies I could find. The only possibility are the full body sized pads to sleep on. However, if you have any medical devices implanted, there are warnings.

I have used one to sleep on about three or four years ago. I seem to recall it helped. BUT.. I'm thinking of pulling it out One More Time.. I'll let you know! :):)

4. CoonXpress

CoonXpress Well-Known Member

If magnets were so good, wouldn't people that had a MRI(Magnetic Resonance Imaging) done, be cured??? :confused: :confused:

Will

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

that's a much more positive spin on it than I would have said.

6. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

A relative loan me a mattress pad loaded with magnets to sleep on for a bad back strain and I certainly thought it helped.I wish I had my own for other ailments. Where would be the cheapest place to purchase one of the magnetic Pads. Thanks to any one that can help.

7. Valmai

Valmai Well-Known Member

Would'nt living under a power pylon do the same thing? :haha:

8. inc

inc Well-Known Member

put your hand over one of those super powerful magnets and you can feel something odd. im talking about the rare earth ones- the dangerous to small kids ones that can cut a blister iin your finger if you hold it close to metal. they hit it so hard.
    i took a beetle and placed it over one of these magnets nad the thing instantly folded its legs and went quiet. i took it away and it took a few minutes to wake up.so at least, there's an effect.

9. JustinThyme

JustinThyme Active Member

Oxygen is magnetic (believe it or not) ,so if you need/want to breathe more oxygen get some magnetic noserings .

10. reese

reese Well-Known Member

MY mother in law swears by them and says she feels the difference esp. with wearing them at pulse points (ie, wrists as bracelets) and the big pads.

If you can find good strong magnets, you can sew pockets in a shirt/sheet or whatever and put the magnets where you need them I suppose. Mother in Law uses big heavy duty flat magnets that can bend around her shoulder. Not sure if it works for all ailments though.

11. ovsfarm

ovsfarm Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to work as a licensed therapeutic massage therapist in Florida and had a few patients that used magnets. They reported mixed results that could have been as much from the placebo effect as actual magnetism.

However, one of my patients had suffered from a burst fracture of several lumbar (low back) vertebrae. The bones had not healed at all after several months of various treatments including bone grafting so the Drs. implanted a device in his back that delivered electromagnetic stimulation to the bone tissue. He could increase or decrease the intensity of the impulse with an external device that looked like a regular magnet. I consulted with the Drs. before treating the patient and was told that electromagnetic frequencies affect the rate of tissue healing/regeneration. So they were hoping that by zapping his vertebrae, new bone would grow in. The patient was placed in a residential treatment facility a couple of months after I began treating him so I did not get to see how the EM treatment worked long term.

The way I interpret that (and keep in mind that I am a homeschooling, sheep farming mommy now and not a Dr. or even someone who is practicing) is that doctors believe strong electromagnetic fields can cause accelerated tissue growth. This may be fine for someone who needs to heal bones, tendons, muscle, etc. but would be very questionable for someone dealing with tumors, calcium deposits, bone spurs and other "bad" tissue growth that one wouldn't want to accelerate.

I kind of hold the same belief when it comes to all alternative health practices. If they are strong enough to be effective, then you should proceed very cautiously-researching, checking with your primary health care provider, etc. If they are not strong enough to be a significant health threat if misused, then I question whether they are strong enough to be of any value at all. I feel this way about herbs also-if they are worth using, then they are strong enough that we shouldn't be popping them like M&Ms; if they pose no danger, then are they even worth taking?

So anyway, I think you are on the right track by asking around for other people's experience. Sorry I don't have a more definitive answer.

12. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

They work for some, but not for others. My husband and mother swear by them, but they do nothing for me.

My mom says the little flat advertising-message magnets work just fine for her, but my husband uses the bigger (and lots more expensive!) ones because his sister's in-laws sell them and she gets a good deal.

A nurse acquaintance says she's seen mixed results, too.

13. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

How do you know if you have the polarity correct? I mean, if you can fix things or enhance healing with magnets, then couldn't you also mess things up by having them the wrong way? And MRI's can really scramble a body's polarity -- or so I've heard.