Magneto coil

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Rob30, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

How do you test a magnto coil? I bought a riding mower in pieces. The motor has compression, starter works, but no spark. It is pointless. I took off everything apart and sanded the rust off. Put it back together, nothing. I am not sure if the wiring is hooked it right. I have the motor off and turn it over with an extra battery. Jumping the starter. Is there something else I should check? Is there another reason I would not get spark?
    My wife thought I was nuts for buying it, so now I have to fix it.

2. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

What year kind of mower ? What kind of engine? Engine Model Number and serial number?

3. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

Its a mastercraft riding mower, I believe its a 10 hp B&S but all the writing is gone off the tractor and motor. A newer model, no points.

4. twohawlks

twohawlks Member

Make sure the flywheel has not moved on the crankshaft. If you take off the nut that holds the flywheel on you should be able to see if the keyways are in line.

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

When the coil went out on our rider, I swapped a coil off of another B&S engine I had. The coils were identical even though the engines where different horsepower and different ages. Well, the engine started right up after I did the swap, consequently the coil was bad on the rider and I replaced it with a new one. The point I'm making is, do you or a friend have another working B&S engine that you can put your coil on to test it?